HELP, Wiring for cooktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Outlet box has red, black, white and bare copper wires
Cooktop has red, black, white and bare copper wire attached to the chassis.
Just how should I connect the wires, I am located in Florida, USA.

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that you already have wires coming from your outlet box? And also from your cooktop?

Don't quite understand what you have here.

From the colours you describe, the unit should be connected pin for pin between the outlet and the cooktop. If you have a cable on each at present, take one off BUT WRITE DOWN WHERE THE COLOURS GO FIRST.

Also if working on the outlet box make sure you've switched off your mains supply before touching anything.

In the UK we always sleeve the bare earth wire.

Below is an edited extract from one reader in the US.

"here in the USA, black wires are HOT, White is neutral. The cooktop is 240V (220V). Cooktops are almost ALWAYS 240V. black goes to black. red goes to red. green goes to the bare wire in the junction box. "

In that particular case they didn't have white, but as you do it needs to be connected.

The way to connect it would be to simply connect like to like.

The US system is ..

RED = HOT

BLACK = HOT

WHITE = NEUTRAL

Unsheathed = Earth connection

The voltage between RED and BLACK is 240V, the Voltage between WHITE and BLACK is 120V, the voltage between RED and WHITE is 120V.

If you have any doubts, I strongly urge you to call in an electrician.

OK, I have edited my post as it was WRONG, Information I have believed to be accurate for many years I now know to have been incorrect regarding the use of BLACK and WHITE cores in US Domestic, and I assume Office Installations. It is 12 years since I was last in the US (In a work capacity) so I have not had the opportunity before to discover I had been given incorrect information..or I heard it incorrectly..I apologise for this confusion as I am fully aware of the consequences.

Now let's sort this out once and for all. You seem to be in a minority of one FWL.

See here

Black is Hot, White is Neutral and Earth is Green.

You can also see here which explains how 240v is distributed to US households. (In the 240v case black and red would be the live or "hot" wires)

This ties up with YankeeSparkey's original description. I could list umpteen other US sites giving the same info.

Sponsored Links
i was laways lead to belive that black is hot, but fwl will no doubt still insist he is right

Well when I worked over there I was always under the impression that black was neutral and white was hot....however I NEVER worked in Domestic premises, only chemical plants, marine installations and on ships.

It is possible that I was given duff information, I never put that knowledge to use as I had no rason too.

I will look into this and pseak to Engineers I know in the US to get some clarity on the matter as I have no desire to give out Incorrect information..especially of this nature.

Breezer..no need to be an arse.

Edited original post to reflect CORRECT situation as I now know it was inaccurate information.

Good, glad we're in agreement. No harm in checking these things through and always welcome the debate. :D

I haven't heard any bangs from the other side of the pond yet or had any response. Most postings from overseas seem to be "one-offs". If people don't get an answer within 5ms they disappear, never to be heard of again.

IanDB said:
Good, glad we're in agreement. No harm in checking these things through and always welcome the debate. :D

Thanks for the post pointing it out, I hate the thought of giving out inaccurate information, even if it was unintensionally.

Your input was much appreciated.

FWL_Engineer said:
Breezer..no need to be an ****.

may i suggest, as you know i do not like you, (I am not sharing my opinion at this time) you do not care for my opinions, i do not care for your opinions.

as we appear to agree on that statement of fact, may i request that you keep further expessions of your opinions regarding myself to your self, and i will do like wise.

yes or no

(Yes you agree, No you dont)

Breezer, I think it safe to say you and I would never get on. You appear to be the sort of person who likes to be the big cheese and cannot accept being wrong, as far as you are concerned you are always right.

Now I accept that I may also come over that way on occasion, this is not deliberate and I will take it on the chin when I am wrong, as this thread clearly demonstrates.

What I actually think of you or you I is irrelevent, but if you keep trying to goad me then please do not make the mistake that I will always be so polite and accomodating to your way of thinking.

as i have always said you can not say a simple yes or no, when a thousand words will do.

Now I accept that I may also come over that way on occasion

yes you do too often, I for one was quite happy to sit here letting you waffle on as only you seem to know how, but no, i never mentioned anything about you, you made the first comment since our last disagreement. the comment in question is in this thread.

may i suggest for the last time that you and i agree to ignore each other starting from after you will want to have your little tantrum

Sponsored Links
Back