Cool shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a problem with a Redring 9S electric shower. Water has started to run cooler recently on High setting requiring the flow to be reduced to get the temperature up. I've noticed that there is no difference in water temperature when I switch between Low and High settings. I suspected a problem with the heater element. After isolating the shower circuit, I whipped of the cover to check continuity accross the element terminals. Two terminals, connected to the Neutral, appered to be common. I therefore assumed that the microswitch (operated by the High/Low knob) allows power to either one or both of these, depending on whether Low or High setting is selected. I therefore expected no continuity between these terminals with all other wires disconnected from the heater, but there was. Does this suggest that one of the elements has failed. Or am I missing something.

Sponsored Links
you are missing something.

as you have found the common for the elements, you must also find both lives.

but i should say one of the elements has given up, since as you said there is no difference between the high and low setting.

Electrically heated showers do not last that long since they are basically an overgrown kettle element in a quater of a kettle, so they get "furred up" quickly and give up

You are measuring BOTH of the heating elements in SERIES. Normally on the high setting they are connected in parallell. This would indicate Both elements are intact .As above they become very inefficient when furred up...

i am not so sure about that, because if one element had gone it would be an open circuit, and it would show as such.

if both are in parallel if the high / low switch turns on /off the 2nd element, you would see the resistance halve if both are working when the high low switch is operated.

I also have to admit that it has been some years since i have taken an electric shower apart, but perhaps some showers have:

both elements in series for low and in parallel for high

and perhaps some

have one element only for low and both on for high

either way, one of the elements has gone.

Sponsored Links
Its only my opinion.......If you dont like it ignore it......I'm only trying to help...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back