Copper Clad Aluminium CCA Terminating methods

Sponsored Links
That's why the good ol' reg book tables of current start at 16mm and go up to hella big :p
Sure, but we're talking about 4mm² cable in your kitchen ring (and, as you say the "good ol' reg book" will not help you in determining the CCC of that!)!

If (which I still doubt :) ), because of skin effect, copper cladding had a significant effect on CCC or VD (at 50Hz) with some of the massive cables, wouldn't one expect 'the book' to have separate tables for copper-clad ally cable?

I've never even seen any type of aluminium cable - was/is most/all of it copper clad?

Kind Regards, John

I think the copper cladding would need to be extremely thick to have any noticable impact on CCC, even taking account of skin affect.

I think the copper cladding would need to be extremely thick to have any noticable impact on CCC, even taking account of skin affect.
Quite so - I suspect that (unless the cable were ginormous) most of the conductor would have to be copper before it made much difference! As I've been saying, I can but presume that the copper is/was there primarily to reduce surface corrosion.

In fact, although I think that skin effect is essentially a red herring in relation to any cable likely to be seen in a domestic or commercial installation, the skin depth for copper is only slightly less than that for aluminium, and the conductivity only about 1.5 times greater.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I've never even seen any type of aluminium cable - was/is most/all of it copper clad?

This was in my parents house. Not too sure on it's provenance, it looks like the house was originally wired in singles (from what I've seen left over) and was rewired in copper T+E in the nineties.

I guess the alu T+E must have been used alongside the singles

Cheers Flame, Is there a particular reason to prefer the pin crimps over ferules?
With ferrules, you are still crushing the wire itself when a screw is tightened onto it, so there is still the possibility of one or more strands breaking inside the ferrule.

Nope, definitely just plain old alu. SOOO soft. I made that nick in the core with basically no force

There was also alu pyro... generally had a grey sheath, I've not had the misfortune to need to disturb any!

Was called Alumicc I think, although that doesn't make much sense IMHO, ALUMIMS would be a better name

91A1E670-2F99-4464-8904-DACF3B390863-11489-00000FE20B00E4F4.jpg

Yup - he needs to make some bread or pastry - that'll clean it up in no time.

If you go to RF's house, eat no pies or sandwiches.

Silly people....

That's what adds the flavour to bread and pastry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back