Copper feed and expansion tank leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my system has a copper feed and expansion tank as originally supplied and fitted in conjunction with a Boilermate 2. The F&E tank has started to leak, it has a series of pin holes in it, any idea what would cause this? I'd understand it it was a ferrous metal or an old galvanised tank, but it's copper. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tank and hole

Attachments

• 20230620_155309.jpg
    20230620_155309.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230620_155258.jpg
    20230620_155258.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 55
Possibly galvanic or chemical/acidic, that material has thinned out considerably. The fact that it's a F&E for a thermal store may lend itself towards corrosion, they are known for it, has the thermal store/system water been checked and is it well inhibited?

Sponsored Links
The store itself was replaced a couple of years ago, inhibitor was added then, don't know if there was any in it before.

What was the store replaced with? You don't happen to have stainless steel connected to the copper anywhere? There really are only 2 ways copper will 'corrode' to that degree and that's galvanic/electrolytic or acidic.

What was the store replaced with? You don't happen to have stainless steel connected to the copper anywhere? There really are only 2 ways copper will 'corrode' to that degree and that's galvanic/electrolytic or acidic.

I believe the replacement store is stainless, interesting.

Copper can corrode if directly connected to Stainless Steel (S/S) (iron) especially in an acidic environment if there isn't a dielectric connector in place, that can then cause a galvanic (electrolytic) reaction.

Usually though S/S cylinders like unvented ones either incorporate dielectric tappings, incaloy coatings or sacrificial anodes to avoid corrosion as CH systems are notorious for being a mixture of different metals. That being said something has obviously corroded that vessel.

Do you still have a thermal store? What is in place as a F&E for it now, standard cistern? I presume it's been changed for something more suitable?

Couple of bucks in that vessel if it's copper ;)

Do you still have a thermal store? What is in place as a F&E for it now, standard cistern? I presume it's been changed for something more suitable?

Couple of bucks in that vessel if it's copper ;)

Yes, still got a thermal store, system is drained down so I could remove the leaky F&E. I contacted Gledhill about a replacement copper one and they have said I don't need a copper or metal one as they are used for uncontrolled heat sources not a conventional gas boiler system with thermostats etc. Polytank looking like a suitable replacement as in their words "All our tanks are primarily used as F&E cold water tanks. They are boil tested for 500 hours to BS4213 but are not suitable for solid fuel systems as the temperature cannot be regulated".

I contacted Gledhill about a replacement copper one and they have said I don't need a copper or metal one as they are used for uncontrolled heat sources not a conventional gas boiler system with thermostats etc.
If you system is just running of a standard CH boiler then a plastic F&E should be fine. If the heat source is uncontrolled, as suggested, that's when it would require a metalised cistern to be able to withstand possible excessive temps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back