Copper pipes through joists

Sponsored Links
It must be a studio set. Far too clean to be real!

He's removing old boards, and finding shiny new pipes with open ends. Hmmm ;)

easy, drill a hole through the outside wall and push them through :D
dont you know, thats how we do things...

Drill all holes as required through joists with a makita angled drill(an excellent must have piece of kit by the way) then go outside and and take a brick out as necessary with SDS drill and chisel attachment and later when all is finished refit brick making sure to use the correct colour mortar

I too believe this is a setup and not real life photo ,but pipes can be done if you really want to and if you have the new JJI type joists then there is no way you can notch them so drilling is the only way forward

Sponsored Links
You've spent the last year or two telling everyone what a bunch of liars are to be found on the plumbers forum, so why ask a question here now?

If the joists in an adjacent room are running the other direction and you have say a doorway then this is easy enough.
Having said that they look like 15mm pipes and the joist spacing looks wider than normal so they would flex enough to lance through imo.

analsheds, those joists drillings are illegal, and not just because they aren't halfway down the joist.....but you'll have to check for yourself.

Probably American so might not be illegal there.
americanjoistimage.gif

Would explain what looks like 24" joist centers as I think this distance is common over there.

Could be laid in first fix. longest I've been able to do is 2 metres only because I had access to the adjacent room and it was big enough. Like people have mentioned perfectly doable if you need to.

when we get to first floor level on our new house all the joist will be pre drilled for plumbing and electrics so will be perfectly sized and aligned, also I'm a stickler for tidyness so the site will be spotless at the end of every day!!
i hate sloppy workmanship! :LOL:

Why do you have to be strictly over 18 to lift a floorboard :?:

@Sooey

They do but branded as "Trader Joe's".

Bit pernickerty, but the holes are not illegal (Plod is not going to arrest you) but may not be acceptable under Building Regs.

Bit pernickerty, but the holes are not illegal (Plod is not going to arrest you) but may not be acceptable under Building Regs.

I know the police have better things to do than go around checking under everyone's floorboards. But if it could be proved that somebody went into a house and drilled holes in a joist contrary to building regs, which later caused it to collapse (extremely unlikey maybe) and kill someone, they would be looking into arresting that person then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back