Copper to plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, as a (skint) DIY'er I have a couple of questions about joining copper pipe to plastic pipe, and hoping for some advice on the best way to do it.
I feel a bit like the house I bought is the 'one that Jack built' but I'm stuck with it and want to put a few things right.

Scenario 1 - Kitchen taps feed - Somewhere between the basement combi and the kitchen, these are run as plastic. Just under the sink, the plastic comes up, goes into a push-fit isolation valve in one side, and in the other side is a small length of copper, which is then secured to the flexible tap hose via a compression joint.
Is this a safe / OK way of doing this?
Is push-fit reliable enough under full water pressure?
Any other ways of joining copper to plastic? Or replacing the copper with plastic, but then how to connect the plastic to the tap inlet hose?

Scenario 2 - Internal bathroom waste - I think I need to introduce an Air Admittance Valve into this, but it runs on 22mm copper (yes, I'm afraid it is one of those units whose name cannot be mentioned). How can I safely introduce an AAV at 10psi - smallest I can find is plastic and 32mm?
Any idea?

Sponsored Links
Scenario 1 - Kitchen taps feed - Somewhere between the basement combi and the kitchen, these are run as plastic. Just under the sink, the plastic comes up, goes into a push-fit isolation valve in one side, and in the other side is a small length of copper, which is then secured to the flexible tap hose via a compression joint.
Is this a safe / OK way of doing this?
yes

Is push-fit reliable enough under full water pressure?
yes
Any other ways of joining copper to plastic? Or replacing the copper with plastic, but then how to connect the plastic to the tap inlet hose?

compression fittings are ok on both plastic and copper but use a plastic insert when using plastic pipe.
Scenario 2 - Internal bathroom waste - I think I need to introduce an Air Admittance Valve into this, but it runs on 22mm copper (yes, I'm afraid it is one of those units whose name cannot be mentioned). How can I safely introduce an AAV at 10psi - smallest I can find is plastic and 32mm?
Any idea?

how can you have a bath waste on 22mm copper unless it on a saniflo.

Hi, thanks for the reply, that has put my mind at ease a bit.

The 22mm waste is on a saniflo unfortunately but I'm trying to avoid saying that word as it seems to make everyone want to tell me I'd be better off moving out and burning my house down, which is not really a route I want to pursue!!!

Cheers,

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back