Copper to Plastic...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All...

Two q's from a novice wonna be plumber...

First off, I have fitted a stop-cock for an outside tap (compression type) with 15mm plastic barrier pipe either side. Pipe supplied by well known push fit company. I have put copper inserts on each end of the pipe and PTFE around the threads. However, both compression joints are weeping.

I have read about replacing the olives with copper instead of brass and also replacing the inserts for plastic.

Any one had any experience???

Secondly, both hot and cold are presented in 15mm plastic. The tap presents 15mm copper from a monobloc tap. I was hoping to use 500/600mm flexi hose with push fit each end, but can't seem to find one. Could I use 15mm compression both ends. Just as soon as I master the weeping problem???

Cheers. Mark

Sponsored Links
I have put copper inserts on each end of the pipe and PTFE around the threads.
The threads are there to provide compression. They do not provide a seal and putting PTFE on them achieves nothing - in fact it may make it difficult to tighten properly.

Otherwise I guess you haven't tightened the compression nuts enough, assuming you've put the olives in (yes, copper olives are softer and might work better). You can wrap PTFE tape around the olives if you like.

Hi Chris,

Quite right about the PTFE on the thread. That was just something I have seen done in the past. Although I must admit I have not tried putting it on the olive.

Was I right to use copper inserts or should they be plastic?

Also, what are your thoughts on the tap connectors?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
mrmark said:
Pipe supplied by well known push fit company. I have put copper inserts...
What do the installation instructions provided by the "well known push fit company" say? If Hepworth or John Guest then copper inserts are the wrong thing to be using - they each have their own proprietary insert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back