Corgi

Sponsored Links
confidentincompetent said:
Yeah well so I can ignore any building control advice and test it in the courts :confused:
It's not clear whether you intend to do that, or whether you're being ineffectually sarcastic.

If I had lain hot pipes ontop of cables it would be conscider'ed dangerous. If a corgi bloke did it, it would not be checked by others and insurance wise your covered.
I somehow doubt the validity of what you've written here. On what authority do you claim to know what constitutes a viable insurance claim following a dangerous practise by a CORGI engineer?

Softus said:
Yeah well so I can ignore any building control advice and test it in the courts :confused:
It's not clear whether you intend to do that, or whether you're being ineffectually sarcastic.
If I had lain hot pipes ontop of cables it would be conscider'ed dangerous. If a corgi bloke did it, it would not be checked by others and insurance wise your covered.
I somehow doubt the validity of what you've written here. On what authority do you claim to know what constitutes a viable insurance claim following a dangerous practise by a CORGI engineer?

ask the people who insure your house! Anyway have you found anything that states an unqualified householder can fit gas in his own house? :LOL:

ask the people who insure your house!
Thank you, but I have no need to.

Anyway have you found anything that states an unqualified householder can fit gas in his own house? :LOL:

I believe that the current Gas Regulations prohibit non-CORGI members from working on gas only if they are employed to do so, hence my reference to "householders" above.

If you have read differently, please could you guide me to the statute, or statutory instrument, that you have read?

Thanks.
S.
If you have looked for the Gas Regulations, and cannot find them, then please let me know. If you have not looked for them, then you are writing not only from a position of no knowledge of the law, but from a position of unaldulterated stupidity.

Sponsored Links
You have not said what your point is. However, I note the following from the above web site:

A significant amount of gas work carried out by non-registered installers has been found to have serious safety defects. That's why, by law, all installation businesses carrying out gas work for you must be registered with CORGI.
This reflects the fact that it is illegal for a business to carry out gas work without being CORGI registered, but not so for an individual when working on his own house.

Thers no need for nasty words it's not neccesary!
It is merely your interpretation that my words are nasty. From my point of view they are factual - who else but a dunce would repeatedly post information about web sites that bear no relationship to the law, and persistently decline to read the law?

That's 'INSTALLATION' businesses - businesses installing something.

What if I were to cap off a gas pipe? What am I installing then?

So we get back to the word 'competent'. If a person can do it according to the regs - they are competent.

Gedditt?

joe

kendor said:
joe-90 said:
joe
er, the cap?

That doesn't make me an 'installation company'. I'd be happy to argue that in court.

joe

Softus said:
who else but a dunce would repeatedly post information about web sites that bear no relationship to the law, and persistently decline to read the law?
Someone who either:

1) Now realises that he was wrong, but cannot bear to actually admit it.

2) Wishes that things were in reality as he'd been claiming, and thinks that if he claims them loudly and often then somehow they will magically become so.

joe-90 said:
kendor said:
joe-90 said:
joe
er, the cap?

That doesn't make me an 'installation company'. I'd be happy to argue that in court.

joe
but you are modifying an install from it's certificated spec

kendor said:
joe-90 said:
kendor said:
joe-90 said:
joe
er, the cap?

joe

That doesn't make me an installation company. The wording is obviously aimed at cowboy contractors installing CH etc.

Other than that you only need be a 'competent person'.

Read the law and see what it says rather than what you want it to say.

joe

joe-90 said:
kendor said:
joe-90 said:
kendor said:
joe-90 said:
joe
er, the cap?

joe

That doesn't make me an installation company. The wording is obviously aimed at cowboy contractors installing CH etc.

joe
so a competant person can re-issue the certification?

joe-90 said:

joe

OK - what the law says, (with my emphasis to attract your attention to the relevant parts)

(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

Geddit?

Why do we keep having these discussions? OK don't answer that please. ;)
Could the powers here pin a suitable note at the top of the plumbing/heating forum to the effect of the following:

Gas work must be carried out by competent persons.
If you do any gas work for anyone you have to be registered with CORGI.

If you do your own gas work in your own home and nothing goes wrong, you will get away with it (except for * below)

If it goes wrong you will have to get someone to put it right and / or your gas will be cut off.
You may be charged under Health and Safety rules. You will not get away in court by claiming competence unless you are registered with CORGI as that is the de facto definition of being competent.
Your insurer will not be paying out for any damage caused.

* When House Information Packs for selling houses come in, or if anyone spots it before hand, you will have a problem selling your house. Expect either several hundred if not thousands being knocked off its value or having to pay out the same to prove that it's OK before you sell it.

Sponsored Links
Back