Correct outdoor cable management for EV Charger?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,
We have an EV charger installed. Both power and 2x Ethernet cables were run from the consumer unit, through the attic, out a hole and down a outdoors wall to the isolator and charger. The outdoor section of the run is shown below:
1708948915251.png

The OBO box is ip65 rated and covers the exit hole from the attic. The power and Ethernets are separated and sent down two 20mm conduits. One conduit with the power terminates at the isolator, the other continues to the charger (Note, the conduits are yet to be clipped).
1708949231021.png

6mm sq twin and earth is used to carry the power, and goes from the consumer unit to the isolator outdoors with the only break being at the isolator.
1708949377903.png

The conduit and connectors used were these from Screwfix:
1708949689345.png

1708949513894.png

1708949640185.png

My question is this: Is this cable management (connectors, conduit, etc) suitable for this set-up? My worry is that this connectors are not weatherproof enough, but im not sure what the alternative is for twin and earth. An electrician friend is going to give it a look over before the final connection, but I would like to have my ducks in a row before I get laughed out of it and put work on him fixing it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1708949486719.png
    1708949486719.png
    250 KB · Views: 15
  • 1708949630393.png
    1708949630393.png
    265.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The physical work in fitting a charge point is not the problem, it is the design which presents the problem, earthing system, and DNO notification, and also the LABC notification, it is simply not a DIY job.

We look at this and this and the rather dated supply to out buildings and one starts to get an idea of the problems.

Charging the car in a garage easy enough, but outside it is rather complex.

Thanks for the response ericmark. I will discuss these concerns with my electrician friend. With regards the DNO notification, my understanding for my situation is that this is not required (see below)
1708952663496.png

The Zappi chargers CT clamp on the household mains live feed allows you to keep the overall load under the households main fuse rating.

With regards to the earthing system, the Zappi has a PEN testing function which removes the requirment for an additional earth rod.
1708952998399.png

I will bring up these points along with the Local Authority Building Control issue with the electrician.

Sponsored Links
6mm sq twin and earth is used to carry the power, and goes from the consumer unit to the isolator outdoors with the only break being at the isolator.

An armoured cable might have been more appropriate for the outdoor section, but my concern would be that left-hand conduit, which appears to enter the top of the isolator. Entering via the top, any water which gets into the conduit, or runs down the outside, will find its way into the isolator.

Water, getting to the outside of the PVC cable, in the conduit, is not necessarily an issue.

Last edited:
Hituff would have been a far better solution and entering the isolator at the bottom is infinitely better

What is the cable attached to at the other end?

Thanks for the feedback. Entering the isolator from the bottom rather than the top is a better idea alright.
From your comments, I am leaning towards stripping out the twin & earth & conduit and replacing it with SWA.

The twin & earth cable is connected to the consumer unit at the other end. A Garo 32 Amp type B RCBO.

SWA is not necessary

In the UK EV points need DP RCD protection, not sure about Eire

From reading the Zappi EV charger manual, it specified that an external RCD is not required.

1708966376927.png

Hituff would have been a far better solution and entering the isolator at the bottom is infinitely better

Hi-Tuff cannot be used as it contains PVC. All cables must be to a minimum of Dca, -s2, d2, a2.

The poster cannot however install this himself though. These are Restricted Electrical Works which may only legally be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor. This does not only mean the final connections.

I made a mistake with a Fusebox type B RCBO it was actually curve B not type B. But as said not required, and @Risteard has confirmed what I thought, you can't DIY anyway so not your problem how to install.
The dedicated RCD which switches all live conductors (generally achieved via an RCBO obviously) is required. The Zappi electronic RCD functionality does not remove this requirement. 32A wouldn't be my choice, however.

The dedicated RCD which switches all live conductors (generally achieved via an RCBO obviously) is required. The Zappi electronic RCD functionality does not remove this requirement. 32A wouldn't be my choice, however.
I started to reply, then noted Ireland, and although I have worked in Ulster in Harland and Wolff that was a long time ago, and I am sure like everywhere else the rules have changed. I am close to the Welsh/England boarder so have a good idea what you can do in England, we would threaten children with taking them to England so we could still smack them, but I thing England now also bands it?

However Scotland and Ulster really out of touch of what is allowed.

I know where I am in Wales the garden is a special location, so there is no way in Wales to fit ones own charging unit at a reasonable cost and within the law DIY. I am assuming same applies in Ulster and across the boarder? The LABC fees mean even if you have the skill and qualifications still not worth notifying the LABC. Better to use a scheme member electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back