Correct way to seal flexible flue adaptor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just installed a flexible flue liner down to a register plate but before I connect the multi fuel boiler to it what is the correct way to seal the SS liner to my register plate adaptor?

The adaptor has double wall between which the SS liner is inserted and a large square plate used to attach it to the underside of the register plate. 3 self tapping screws hold the liner in place. I've tried to seal the gap between the outer wall, of the adaptor, and the liner. I'm not sure how well the fire cement stood up to the pushing and pulling when I fixed the adaptor to the register plate. At the moment I can reach up inside the adaptor and place more fire cement between the inner wall of the adaptor and the inner surface of the liner.

However, there are 3 x 15mm holes at the base of the inner wall of the adaptor which I am assuming are drain holes. So my question is how important is the seal between the outer wall of adaptor and outer surface of the liner? If this has been compromised by all the movement prior to final fixing to register plate would there be any point in inserting fire cement into the gap between inner wall and liner. Would this compromise the draining of any liquid?

Sponsored Links
Corgi territory I think. :D

Not if the multi-fuel is wood/solid fuel.

George, probably best to consult the makers of the flue liner for advice. BTW if you are using wood/solid fuel then an ordinary lightweight stainless steel gas-type liner is not the right stuff to use. You will need a liner designed for use with solid fuel (and a lot more expensive I'm afraid). The l/w stuff will burn through in weeks due to the higher flue temperatures involved.

Sponsored Links
I've used 904/316 Class 1 liner and its up the right way. :)

Want to make sure I get it right before I connect up the back boiler.

Good idea for me to try the liner manufacturer.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back