Correctly wiring a jacuzzi off a garage ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a little bit of help regarding a jacuzzi that has been incorrectly wired in by the previous occupants.

The house is only 4 years old we have been in it for 3.

The jacuzzi is in a log cabin next to the garage and it is plugged into a socket in the garage,a few days ago the wire melted and blew the fuse. (it had been getting hot for a while). Jacuzzi company ok'd everything on it 2 months ago.

The garage ring main is protected by an RCD and a 16amp fuse.

Can I extend the ring to include a switch(any suggestions on what type)in the garage for the jacuzzi which is rated 16amp on its own.

I am guessing I would need to upgrade the fuse and also use outdoor wiring as it will be fed through the garage wall then under 1 mtr decking through under the log cabin into the jacuzzi.

Also does this come under part p as many post say garages don't.

Many Thanks :D

Sponsored Links
What is the actual rating of the jacuzzi (it should be in watts). Is this actually a hot tub? (Jacuzzi is just a manufacturer of various things)

Part P - all notifiable work since it's outside and the equivalent of a bathroom as well.
Most of these tubs require a separate circuit, so connecting to the garage won't be an option.

Hi

It is a Hot Tub Spa 8 seater Sunrise Galileo

All paperwork and inside the working show 16 amps / 50 hz only

The hot tub should be installed on its own 16 or 20A circuit and not spurred from a ring final.

Yes, this work will require notification under Part P of the Building Regulations.

Sponsored Links
that seems low amps for a 8 seater, mine is a 5 plus lounger seat and pulls just under 40 amps on the clamp meter.

Some of the cheaper models have small 1kw or 2kw heaters and are designed to run far longer [almost continually] to maintain temp.

Just had someone round.

They are quoting for new line from the fuseboard to the garage with an RCD in there. Then running from that into the Hot Tub cabin to power the lights and sockets both of which he said needs to be changed as they are dangerous as they are in a hot tub cabin.

Sound correct ?

He is there and we are not, but he's right about the new circuit, so given that the numbnut who originally installed it got that wrong then I'm inclined to believe he got the lights and sockets wrong as well.

How big is the room the hot tub is in, in relation to the hot tub itself?

The garage ring main is protected by an RCD and a 16amp fuse.
I'm assuming this is one of these two way garage cu with a 16amp breaker for the sockets and a 6 amp breaker for the lights. This CU is supplied by cable coming in the main house CU. So what you need to know are the properties of that cable, how it gets to the garage, and what the breaker is in the main CU that protects that cable.

That will tell you how many amps you can safely get to the garage with the existing cable.

From there you can decide how you get the required current from the garage to your jacuzzi place. You need to know this so you understand exactly what this new electrician is quoting for and the reasons why.

Also, i would spend a few minutes finding out who put the jacuzzi in and who took it upon themselves to wire it up. If somebody was paid to install jacuzi and wire it up they they are required by law to "carry out the service with reasonable care and skill". If they didn't, which appears to be the case, they have to come back and sort it out, or pay for you to get somebody else to do so. Three of four years after the event doesn't get them off the hook. Might be worth taking a bit of time just to see if this is an option before you splash out your own cash.

There is about 2ft around 3 sides then 5ft on the other.

There is just a normal bayonet light to one side on the wall close to the hot tub.... so 2 ft to the wall and 3 ft up it

On the far side, 5ft away from the tub is a light switch and a double socket.

He is correct in what he is saying, the light should be suitable for it's use i.e. enclosed. The socket shouldn't be there at all.

BAS beat me to it!

It would be interesting to know if there is any electrical paperwork for the property.
Are you aware of any when/where/what/who regarding the hot tub installion?

I suspect a bit of law breaking has taken place here!
Do you still have means to contact the previous occupier?

From what you have said about this so far, I would trust your sparky, let him sort it out ;)

Thankyou

Thats exactly what we were just thinking, I think I'll be reading some paperwork tonight.

But I'm not sure what come back you have from the previous occupants or their subby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back