cost for commissioning a combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, would any one have an idea what the cost will be for the commissioning a combi boiler in the yorkshire area

Sponsored Links
Check with the manafacturer most offer a set price (onl;y if its a decent brand)

Sponsored Links
AS OIlman says "Who installed it?"
By law, the only person who could install a domestic gas boiler is a CORGI registered person. There are no exceptions. The person who installed it is the right person to commission it.
Anybody else installing, servicing or otherwise working on any gas appliance is liable to an unlimited fine, a jail sentence, or both. As for £75- £80, the cost would have to allow for a very full inspection, because the commissioning person takes on the responsibility for the safety of the whole installation, and the risk of losing his livelihood if he misses something. I would not commission a boiler fitted by an unqualified person.

I will check this out but as i understand it the law says anyone can install a central heating system and charge for it what you must not do is run a gas supply to it and charge for that part of the work
if a corgi registered person runs the supply and commisions the boiler he is only responsible for the safety of his work. eg soundness, let by, and pressure checks etc etc.

Which is why benchmark have fitting and commisioning seperate in the book.

if you as a corgi reg person was to fit a new gas supply to an old boiler perhaps the meter has been moved? would you then take on the responsibilty of the whole system?

Unless it's in his own house, nobody can install a boiler unless he is corgi regd in his own name. That excludes most employees when not working for their company ! Fixing the wall bracket is part of installing.

taydo said:
...as i understand it the law says anyone can install a central heating system and charge for it what you must not do is run a gas supply to it and charge for that part of the work...

Not true. You mustn't install any part of a heating system that may affect the gas safety of the system. At a minimum that includes putting the boiler on the wall and installing the flue.

The following is lifted from th eCORGI web site:

Q: I am a qualified plumber, and have been in the plumbing industry for years. I am, however, not registered with CORGI. Can I install a boiler and pipework and have a CORGI-registered installer connect the gas and commission the installation?
A: NO! Many people are under the illusion that they can carry out this activity as it's being tested by a registered installer. The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998, Reg. 2 (23) states: 'The definition of "work in relation to a gas fitting" lists specific activities covered by this term, but this list is not exclusive and other operations may also comprise "work". The definition is wide-ranging and includes activities that could affect, in any way, the safety of a gas fitting (whether new or existing, and whether or not it contains gas)'.

This reply to Taydo, if I work on any part of a gas system I must ensure that I leave the installation safe. If someone else has moved the meter, I still have to find it to do soundness testing and also check gas rate on the appliance. if someone has piped the feed to a 30 kw combi boiler in 10 mil microboreunder the kitchen units, then believe me, the gas rate test will show it. If that pipe is run in plastic, then of course a gas rate test will not show it. I'm fairly confident a jury would be sympathetic, after the bloke who did it dies in the subsequent explosion and hse investigators find my name on the commissioning document......... That's why I say i would not commission a boiler put in by someone else. It's a minefield, and too much of the legislation is untested and poorly defined.
But it is quite clear that the only person who may legally fit a boiler must by definition be qualified to commission it.

This reply to Taydo, if I work on any part of a gas system I must ensure that I leave the installation safe. If someone else has moved the meter, I still have to find it to do soundness testing and also check gas rate on the appliance. if someone has piped the feed to a 30 kw combi boiler in 10 mil microboreunder the kitchen units, then believe me, the gas rate test will show it. If that pipe is run in plastic, then of course a gas rate test will not show it. I'm fairly confident a jury would be sympathetic, after the bloke who did it dies in the subsequent explosion and hse investigators find my name on the commissioning document......... That's why I say i would not commission a boiler put in by someone else. It's a minefield, and too much of the legislation is untested and poorly defined.
But it is quite clear that the only person who may legally fit a boiler must by definition be qualified to commission it.

As well as all the regulations for gas, there are the requirements in the building regulations. Heating installations have to meet the requirements and as heating is a controlled service, it has to be certified as complying with the regulations. This can be done by the building control officer, or by a competent person. BUT,
the competent person is only allowed to SELF certify. This means they can certify the work THEY have done, NOT the work someone else has done.

I was under the impression that a competent person could comission installations done by the householder (not gas work of course), but this can be done only if an installation document is available, which would be a building control document.

If you want a solicitor do do a job on the side, they will only work through their firm so they are insured. Corgi guys doing a job on the side, and signing forms are personally liable (ie not insured through their firm).

As soubriquet says, it's a minefield.

yes i totally agree with you all it is a minefield. what i was getting at was if joe bloggs fitted a boiler 1 year ago then moves out, the new owner now wants the gas supply moved, Would you do it. My answer is yes you would.
because you dont no the history.

So is there any difference between the above statement and

joe bloggs fits a boiler and wants you to run his gas supply and test his work.

True, We can not see what has been done some time ago, but if Joe Bloggs fitted it a year ago, I would not be faced with something I already knew or suspected to be an installation by an unqualified person.
Every job carries the risk that there is an unseen bodge.
A recent one was a Brittony water heater in a kitchen cupboard. Clearances to the sides, top and bottom were insufficient, but the clincher was the neat little holes someone had cut in the room sealed casing to make room for the cupboard door hinges!
The house had recently been sold, so the buyer had no knowledge of the person responsible.
Another was a combi that vented into a carport. Not a good idea, but then the householder decided to put windows and walls in and turn the carport into a sunroom. They called me in because the boiler fan was noisy outside. They didn't think it was any of my business that their flue had been rendered unsafe and illegal by their building work, and said that as it had been done a year ago, it must be alright. Like many other of us, I must have missed dangerous bodges...... Like the British Gas blokes who fitted a water heater, for an elderly lady in almshouses, which I was called to for a smell of escaping gas. BG had failed to solder two 22mm copper elbows in a meter box. they had fluxed them, but forgot to apply heat. And failed to find the leak when called back.
We can not guarantee to always get it right, or find everything, but we can refuse to condone illegal work. So, yes, I see your point, I might service a boiler installed by Joe Bloggs, and indeed i might find it excellently installed, unlike some "professionally" installed examples I come across. And I would never know.
So, I might do it unknowingly, but I stick by my earlier statements.

And, ref Oilman, you are so right... Corgi registration is not very well understood, It costs us an arm and leg, we have to redo all our exams at great cost every five years, and can't fix grannys boiler at the weekend if we're registered as employees of a firm, unless it's a company job, or we risk five years in jail for doing what we are doing every other day of the week.
In what other skilled trade or profession are you deemed to become incompetent at the stroke of midnight five years after qualifying?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back