Cost of exterior hanging tiles...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering replacing the mock tudor style with vertical (clay?) hanging tiles (Sussex/Surrey style).

Area to cover is approx 20m2 on the front and 10m2 on each side less windows = 36m2 total.

Be grateful for a ballpark indication of what this might cost.
Would £80/m2 (quoted here) be a reasonable estimate? i.e. £2,880 ?

*understand that I will need quotes, I am just trying to establish whether the it is even feasible?
Vertical_Tiles.jpg

Sponsored Links
Would £80/m2 (quoted here) be a reasonable estimate? i.e. £2,880 ?
Sounds reasonable plus scaffold plus waste disposal. Also, bear in mind that things like windows etc add to the cost and do not detract from it. Window-less walls are easier to tile than those with windows.

That's great thanks. I am expecting to re-do the whole roof as I have hoping to do a 2-storey rear extension so scaffolding is likely to be present in anycase.

Now that I know it is feasible to do it, it is a case of how best, so,

1 . I only want to do the minimum to cover the tudor, how is the side best 'finished' i.e. how do I best transition from tiles to brick

2. What do you think would look best on the front gable (currently black wood)?

Picture of RHS
Tiles_Side.PNG

Sponsored Links
1 . I only want to do the minimum to cover the tudor, how is the side best 'finished' i.e. how do I best transition from tiles to brick
Have you considered insulation at this stage?

Remove crappy mock Tudor wood.
Fix 25 x 50mm tanolised vertical battens (and insulation if necessary).
Line window openings to create edge finishing detail.
Fix breathable membrane to vertical battens.
Fix tile batten, bottom drips/kickers, stepped lead corners, lead sill drips, lead headers etc.
Fix tiles including l/h and r/h corner tiles, eaves, tile 'n' half, short course etc.
Dress lead.

Thanks for all that info, very helpful.

Last (I think) question, on the side of the house, what detailing is best used (aesthetically) where the vertical edge of the tiles stops (and the upper floor/new extension reverts to brick).
i.e. I don't want hanging tiles all the way round to back so must have a vertical 'junction'.

Looking at other houses, I have seen:
1. Stop at chimney breast (most common) - but I also have Tudor the otherside of chimney to cover.
2. Just stop mid wall - looks a bit funny?
3. Stop at an internal corner - I don't have one.
4. Build out a 'column' of bricks pretruding from side wall by 1/2 a brick and butt up to this column.
5. Other

Have you considered insulation at this stage?
Doesn't the extra depth mean that the tiles pretrude too far and look 'silly'?

Last edited:
I think I'd consider how I want to modernise and whether this would involve EWI (external insulation) and how this could be tied in with the tile hanging etc.
Otherwise I would always leave face brickwork where practical as this is a low maintenance façade.

The extra depth of material need not look silly as long as the edge details are done sympathetically.

Thanks noseall. Any advice on the detailing of the vertical transition from hanging tiles to bricks.

Would it be a good idea to step out the new extension by 50mm to give me a corner/edge to butt up the hanging tiles against?

How do you make sure that the tiles & tile&half finish exactly at the corner?

Red is the hanging tiles location, the yellow circle shows the stepped out extension (currently unbuilt).
Hanging_Tiles.jpg

Start at the ends and work to a cut in the middle. Use L/H and R/H corner tiles on external or internal corners.
Thanks.

Last question, is it best/normal to:
(a) offset brickwork and finish flush (pic below)?
(b) just finish and leave the side of the hanging tiles/battons showing?
(c) something else?

HangingTiles2.jpg
hangingtiles3-jpg.112721

Last edited:
You would need to off set the brickwork by a good 100mm so no, I would not bother unless you want a deliberate step out here internally and externally.

Ok, will leave bricks flush.

Slightly unsure that the side view of the hanging tiles will look a little awkward but given it is the rarely seen side views of the house it should'nt be so bad.

Last edited:
The finish will be the same as the front verge on your house, neatly pointed or should be.
Or you could in fact get extras angles L + R and cut them to return to the brickwork. Cost of angles though, I'd go for point in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back