cost of getting a CONSUMER UNIT put in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as this silly new reg has come in how much will it cost to putt an CONSUMER UNIT in at the min i have old fuses :rolleyes:

what i want is

double pole isolating switch
RCD
4 X 32amp MCB
1 X 40amp MCB
1 X 6amp MCB

i live in rugby warwickshire if it makes much diffrents

thanks guys oh yea i'm new here :evil:

Sponsored Links
lord nicon21 said:
as this silly new reg has come in how much will it cost to putt an CONSUMER UNIT in at the min i have old fuses :rolleyes:

what i want is

double pole isolating switch
RCD
4 X 32amp MCB
1 X 40amp MCB
1 X 6amp MCB

i live in rugby warwickshire if it makes much diffrents

thanks guys oh yea i'm new here :evil:

the new building regs dont say u must change your CU. as for price, see item 9 here

Sponsored Links
Call me on **************and I'll quote for the job and explain the regulations at the same time.

phone number removed.

may i suggest if you have not done so you put your email address in your profile

Lord Nic, to replace your CU will cost in the region of £250-£350. I did try to post my telephone number but it was late and I was feeling reckless - it was edited out anyway!

I doubt it. How do you know what will be involved in completeing the job? That is why we have item 9

lord nicon21 May I suggest , as you have been told that you get several quotes. That way there is no doubt how much such a job will cost.

moderator, may i suggest you pass comment on something that you know something about only?

if you were in the electrical industry you would know that to change a consumer unit including testing is in the region of £250 - £350 domesticly.

any remedial work needed will be an extra on that.

like i say, a bit of refraint please.

may i remind you of item 9.
It way well cost as stated, but what if it doesnt. I can not allow people to ask for quotes on this site for the reasons in item 9. This was asking for a quote.
Would you do the job for £350?, bearing in mind it is in Rugby, and you have to travel.

Sorry for jumping in when it's not my thread but, thankyou Dingbat for a sensible and helpfull reply.
As a non sparky I have no idea what this might cost it could be £100 or it could be £1000 for all I know. If I was obtaining quotes for a job like that then I would at least like to know an idea of the order of cost BEFORE I start to invite quotes.
Of course I wouldn't hold dingbat to anything he said and I would only expect him to give an idea of the works asked for ie no remedials.
If the original poster got 3 quotes when he only had 100 quid in his back pocket he would be wasteing their time quoting.

-Neil

dingbat said:
Lord Nic, to replace your CU will cost in the region of £250-£350. I did try to post my telephone number but it was late and I was feeling reckless - it was edited out anyway!

thank you very much i'll save a bit of money up as i had no idea on cost before i wast some guys time with quotes thanks mate

I live in Birmingham and I paid £150 for a new 12 way split load CU supplied and fitted, I'm in a diffeent house now so cant remeber the exact specs but it had 6 MCB's on one side and a further 6 on the other side protected by an RCD. The sparky that fitted it offered me a choice of whetever MCB's I required. The job was a straightforward removal of the old wire fusebox and fitting the new CU in a cupboard under the stairs with easy access. As a fully loaded CU is around £75 from screwfix, it seemed reasonable to pay him £75 for the 90 minutes it took him to disconnect the old fusebox [I removed it myself once it was made 'safe'] and fit the new one and connect up the downstairs 32A ring, the remaining rings I reconnected myself once I was happy with the CU.

what you mean you just got him to take it off and you put the new one in?

can they let you do that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back