How to wire shed unit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wish to fit a small 2 way new consumer unit 1 x 40amp 30mA trip current RCCD, 1 x 6amp MCB's and 1 X16amp MCB. in my shed.
I am not sure how to wire this unit. I have a 3 core 2.5mm swc armoured cable coming into shed. Could someone give me guidence here.
The cable is not conected to house consumer unit yet,I am waiting for electrician to come and fit new unit to house.I just need to wire the shed unit before he comes so he can check it out. From the shed unit i will put 2 single outdoor type plugs on a radial line, and one outdoor wall switch to a fluerecent light.
I beleive the Buzzbar goes into bottom end live RCCB,into MCB 1 and MCB2

Your help would be much appreciated here.
Thanxs
:confused:

Sponsored Links
Won't someone Please help me here,

Ok would this be correct ?.
Live wire in from top connected to top 'L' slot of RCCB, live from plug circuit to top slot of 16amp MCB, live wire from light circuit to top slot of 6amp MCB. This is where i am not sure, does the Mains neutral got to the top 'N' slot of the RCCB or the bottom 'N' slot, then does the neutrals from lights and sockets go to the other 'N' slot of the RCCB
Am I on the right track with this.

Thanxs

remeber the armour should be properly glanded
there should be a link from the bottom of the rcd to a neutral bar already fitted

the incoming cables both your incoming cables go into the top of the rcd

Sponsored Links
Thanks plugwash for the answer,

There is a busbar fitted to the bottom of the 'L' slot of the RCCB then into the bottom slots of the 6amp and 16amp MCB's.
So the live and neutral from the incoming armoured cable go to the top slots of the RCCB respectfully and the neutrals from the light and sockets go to the bottom 'N' slot of the RCCB.
What would be the problem if the armoured cable was not glanded correctly ?

Thanks again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back