cost of getting a CONSUMER UNIT put in

The Sparky disconnected the old fusebox from the mains, then connected a new CU alongside and connected up one of the downstairs rings.

I then removed the old fusebox and reconnected the remaining rings.

This was before the new regs if they make any difference....

Sponsored Links
your first line did say that it was supplied and fitted (which is why i suggested previous poster read it slowly)

gjh said:
The Sparky disconnected the old fusebox from the mains, then connected a new CU alongside and connected up one of the downstairs rings.

I then removed the old fusebox and reconnected the remaining rings.

This was before the new regs if they make any difference....

ah right i was going to say they wont let you do that now

It doesn't matter when it was done, it wasn't done properly. You are changing the nature of the circuits' protection, and therefore taking responsibility for the safety of the whole installation. This job must be accompanied by a full test of each circuit and an installation certificate must be supplied. (This has not changed in the last decade)

A cowboy, of course, wouldn't bother... probably wouldn't know... most likely doesn't have the equipment...couldn't care less.

Sponsored Links
Very helpful to have an idea of cost for typical jobs - doesn't have to be accurate to the penny, but within 50-100 squid gives you an idea if you can afford the job or not - and avoids wasting time on jobs you can't afford! Also , sometimes there isn't time to get 3 quotes , wait for trades to turn up etc etc - sometimes you just have to go with the first one in the book - so guide prices very helpful. Besides 3 quotes not always helpful -
Low price but crap workmanship?!

PS Dingbat - you don't do work anywhere near Northampton by any chance
:?: :)

Was quoted £180 supply-and-fit for a 6+6 split CU in December
Haven't checked this year yet (To see how much extra Part P will cost..)

Dingbat,
Replacing current split load RCD protected CU with new one with more capacity - need some extra circuits and present CU is full. I had another look at the work involved in an extra CU (another thread!) and figured I could route the cables to a bigger CU! And test/certify installation to part P obviously!

Towman, I've just worked out that your name might be a clue to your location - Towcester? If that's the case it's quite a hike for me - I'd be charging you for three hours travelling!

What you are suggesting might be reasonable, but inspection and testing might reveal bigger snags than just rerouting/extending cables. Quite often when people reach the capacity of their existing consumer units, I find extra circuits sharing breakers. I'd have to go with the 'get three quotes' advice.

Right first time Dingbat!
It was worth asking anyway - if'n e duzz'n ask..... Am in process of getting quotes anyway - though two who I've tried haven't even turned up as promised - big black crosses in yellow pages for them!

Have considered the supply fuse - hence other threads. All seems a bit of a mish mash really depending on the area you're in and who you talk to!

steve190 said:
towman.

Will the suppliers fuse support the increased load?

if it doesn't then it blows and you call them out and they most likely replace it with a 100A one.

i have never heared of a 100A service fuse being blown by overload on a domestic install. (blown by a fault is another matter ofc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back