Cosumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to replace my existing wired fuse consumer unit, can anyone please advise what the advantages or disadvantages are in using a 12 way split load (MK) unit, Am I correct in thinking that only one bank of MCBs are protected by the RCD ?. If so how would you decide what bank of MCBs to use for what circuits ie. ring mains, cooker circuit,lighting circuit exterior power etc
I cannot find anything in the wiring regs to indicate acceptable distance a socket outlet should be located from a kitchen sink ?
Many thanks for any advice you can offer

Sponsored Links
Lights, alarms - and if you have a separate cct for them the fridge and freezer - should be on the non-RCD side.

Sockets should be on the RCD side, as should outside circuits.

Cookers and immersion heaters are a disputed territory.

derek.d said:
I cannot find anything in the wiring regs to indicate acceptable distance a socket outlet should be located from a kitchen sink ?

There is nothing specific in the regs, but the accepted horizontal distance from a sink or draining board is 300mm.

ZenStalinist said:

They seem to be, but there are no particularly good reasons why they should. As long as your circuit Zs will allow the protective device to meet the disconnection times you should be fine and 60898 MCB's will all operate inside 0.4 secs if the circuit is designed correctly.

Sponsored Links
ZenStalinist said:
Are they? I thought it was pretty undisputed that they don't need to be on the RCD side, and that putting them there is often a bad idea because of earth leakage.

frankly if something trips an rcd its probablly due for replacement anyway

it all depends on your attitude

do you

put everything on rcd except stuff that should not or must not be on rcd
put everything on non-rcd except stuff that should or must be on rcd

plugwash said:
frankly if something trips an rcd its probablly due for replacement anyway
Cooker elements can get condensation in that disappears almost as soon as they are powered up - it doesn;t make them unsafe, but it sure as hell can trip an RCD.

do you

put everything on rcd except stuff that should not or must not be on rcd
:)
put everything on non-rcd except stuff that should or must be on rcd
:(

I even ran a 10.0. sq.mm. Earth bonding cable straight from my copper Immersion heater Cylinder to my fuse box - even though the immersion itself has it's own earth core in it's supply cable - you can't ever be TOO SAFE where electrics and water mix !! :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back