Could I get some advice on a pump failure from some plumbers please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum had a new boiler replaced with hot water cylinder and a few new radiators recently and within about 6-7 weeks of installation the oil pump has failed on the boiler. The plumber blew sludge out of the oil line but has said that water in the bottom of the tank has fed through and rusted the pump which has been replaced now.

My Mum's a bit naffed off about a bill 6 weeks after a new installation and I'm trying to figure out where she stands so I just had a couple of questions.

1) Is that feasible for a brand new pump to fail with water ingress in 6-7 weeks?
2) Would it be standard practice for a new boiler installation to check the tank and line condition for water or sludge before installation?

Any help is appreciated

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Not a professional plumber but that stuff about the pump sounds iffy- if there was that much water in the bottom of the tank the boiler wouldn't have been firing very well. Did the plumber leave the old (failed) pump with your mum- if not then tell her to ask for it and have a chat with the boiler manufacturer/supplier (wouldn't be the first time something pre-enjoyed has been fitted as brand new).
Checking the supply line and filter and water trap would be good practice but probably not standard.....

The big worry now ia that the new pump might also fail if all the water hasn't been draind from the tank and the oil tested with water finding paste, water can kill a pump in days, not mind weeks.

Sponsored Links
We always do a visual inspection of tank and oil line when we quote for oil boiler replacements.
When commissioning we check oil flow plus quality.
Visually check oil tank for water ingress steel tanks because they are mostly oid.single skin plastic tanks can have cracks caused by uv that let rain water in.
I've even seen water arive with a delivery of kero!
Whatever the cause you must get water out .

I sincerely hope that a new pump was only fitted only after the water in the oil tank and line had been thoroughly cleared out.
As well as leaks, I have read that water can get into oil tanks via condensation on the tank internally. As water is heavier than oil it then falls and sits at the bottom until, eventually, it gets to the oil draw-off level.

I know my boiler stopped and water was found in the single skin plastic tank. Suspect previous owner knew of an issue around the tank vent (silicon mastic and oil tanks don't work) that allowed rainwater in. THAT cost me a new bunded tank, new reinforced base, and a new oil pump.

If the water hasn't been removed then the new pump will quickly go the way of the last one.

Not a professional plumber but that stuff about the pump sounds iffy- if there was that much water in the bottom of the tank the boiler wouldn't have been firing very well. Did the plumber leave the old (failed) pump with your mum- if not then tell her to ask for it and have a chat with the boiler manufacturer/supplier (wouldn't be the first time something pre-enjoyed has been fitted as brand new).
Checking the supply line and filter and water trap would be good practice but probably not standard.....

Yeah they left the old pump, she was concerened that 6 weeks wasn't very long and that maybe it was just a duff pump and a plumber trying to make money instead of putting it through as a warranty failure.

The big worry now ia that the new pump might also fail if all the water hasn't been draind from the tank and the oil tested with water finding paste, water can kill a pump in days, not mind weeks.

Yeah plumber pumped out 30l of water and says the tank should be safe to keep using.

We always do a visual inspection of tank and oil line when we quote for oil boiler replacements.
When commissioning we check oil flow plus quality.
Visually check oil tank for water ingress steel tanks because they are mostly oid.single skin plastic tanks can have cracks caused by uv that let rain water in.
I've even seen water arive with a delivery of kero!
Whatever the cause you must get water out .

Would those checks be the norm? we're trying to figure out of the installing plumbers should be liable for the cost of the pump replacement, ie should they have checked it as a matter pf course. Don't really want to get into a protracted legal situation over it though as it's not a huge bill.

OK so it's feasible that a new healthy pump could die in 6 weeks then, so it's probably not a warranty job, more just a row with the installing plumber.

Would those checks be the norm? we're trying to figure out of the installing plumbers should be liable for the cost of the pump replacement, ie should they have checked it as a matter pf course. Don't really want to get into a protracted legal situation over it though as it's not a huge bill.
I certainly would consider checking the tank ect as normal.
We are currently doing around 2 oil boiler changes a week.
What make is boiler? Some of the manufacturers would sort this as a gesture of good faith. Others in effect tell you where to go!

What everyone else has said. Water can kill an oil pump in a matter of days. The sludge that accompanies the water will also act as a grinding paste.
A responsible installer would always check the integrity of a system, and regular servicing should also contain such checks.

I certainly would consider checking the tank ect as normal.
We are currently doing around 2 oil boiler changes a week.
What make is boiler? Some of the manufacturers would sort this as a gesture of good faith. Others in effect tell you where to go!
It's a Grant Vortex, not cheap but I think my mum has already inquired and been told they won't help.

I suppose its difficult to blame the installer for water in a existing tank, how many check for water in a existing tank before installing a new boiler.
The tank should also be examined for cracks in the Lid and Top, I replaced a 28 year old tank recently and while I didn't check it for water its bottom was spotless when I looked into the tank after pump out

It's a Grant Vortex, not cheap but I think my mum has already inquired and been told they won't help.
Assuming it's a vortex pro and was commissioned by a Grant G1 registered engineer (after 1st April) it's got a 10 year warranty.
If we had had to change a oil pump due to water ingress after install I'm certain we could have got a pump out of Grant,.
But maybe we have a better relationship with Grant than your installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back