Could it be the PSU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought this problem had been fixed but its still bugging me. My laptop won't power up. Timtheenchanter suggested take the battery out and power up as usual, then reconnect the battery. This worked, laptop powered up, everything working.

But after shutting down I can't power up again even by removing the battery as before. I have noticed that all the lights flash for a second but then nothing. Is the computer storing electricity somewhere? i.e. should I leave it for a few days before trying again?

Reading some other posts the PSU (power supply unit) is mentioned, could this be the fault here.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
what make/model is it?
I had to identical FS Amilo Pro's do this on me, both just out of warranty too. Like yours, lights came on, but just wouldn't boot, dead as!
Had them tested by a pc shop, they reckoned it was the mobo and a costly repair.
I never bothered and they're still in the cupboard gathering dust.

hi it really would help if you would post the model of the laptop.

Your laptop doesn't have a PSU inside it but it would well be the "brick" on the lead that is at fault.

I am guessing that there should be about 19v at the end plug- can you verify this with a meter?

Otherwise can you use a power suppy from a similar laptop.

Sometimes the connection becomes very loose- does wiggling it make any difference?

Hi Opps,

The laptop is an Advent 4401 from PC World. The charger is the correct model with an output of 20 volts 3.25 amps. It charges the battery OK as when it does run I,ve checked the battery status.

I don't know if this is a coincidence but the problems started when I downloaded a windows update from the official windows centre. I'm assuming its a hardware issue, could it be a software problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Scooterboy

The easiest way to eliminate the possibility of the software being at fault is to bypass xp/vista and run an operating system from ram- using ubuntu or a diagnostic cd such such Hiren boot cd

http://www.hirensbootcd.net/

http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

You will need to use Nero (or similar, eg the free http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ ) to burn the iso file to cd. You will also need to ensure that the bios is set to allow the cd drive as the first boot device. (press f2 at boot bios screen)

I would be inclined to remove the battery completely for now.

With it removed do you have any activity, ie., can you at least see the bios splash screen?

Hi Opps,

Thanks for that. Starting the laptop is a bit randon. Sometimes it will start with the battery removed, sometimes it wont. definately wont start withe battery installed.

When I do get it going is does come up with the F1 resume etc so maybe I can get in at that point.

Just had a look at abuntu and its a freebie (nice) so I will get that organised first. This may take a couple of days.

Thanks for your help so far.

Scooterboy200

Back