Council Fencing - any luck in getting them to upgrade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently living next door to a council house, and part of their fence has collapsed in the recent winds - my problem is that prior to this to council had replaced an existing stretch of 5 ft high fencing with a chain link fence, which essentially offers no privacy and required me to fork out for some paneling just so we could have our own garden back!

(the neighbors are nice, but I do like my privacy!)

Anyway, I suspect that the council will want to do the same again - is there anyone who has experienced this before, and successfully talked them around into replacing like for like? I don't see why I should have to pay for added bits to their fence!

TFT

Sponsored Links
if they like the fence they way it is, what makes you think that taxpayers' money should be spent changing it just to suit you?

In the same way that I'm very ugly, and don't care, I wouldn't pay for plastic surgery. If you don't like looking at me, that's your problem, not mine.

.... plus, if it's their (the council's) fence then they can maintain it how they like, if indeed they choose to maintain it at all (which I don't think they are actually obliged to do). In the same way that I don't have to repair my fence if I don't choose to (although I do as I like to be on good terms with my neighbours).

But you're not paying for adding bits to their fence. If they put up chain link, it does exactly what a fence should do - secures the boundary and keeps animals/kids in/out. It doesn't blow down in a gale and it doesn't need frequent maintenance which wood does so it's the right thing for the public purse.

If you want a pretty fence, then you're at liberty to pay for and install a pretty fence on your land abutting the chain link.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you ask if they intent to replace it with a chain-link fence, and offer to pay the difference for a panelled fence.

They will probably say no, but you can ask.

Interesting responses - I'm not fussed about a pretty fence; I am concerned about privacy in my own back garden. I would think that the council would have to maintain the fence to a reasonable degree, much like they have to do with the houses.

I understand the public spending angle, hence why I wanted to see if anyone had experienced such things before and if so, what their workaround was.

As for liking the fence the way it is; they don't - but it's all the council offer.

Interesting responses - I'm not fussed about a pretty fence; I am concerned about privacy in my own back garden. I would think that the council would have to maintain the fence to a reasonable degree, much like they have to do with the houses.

I understand the public spending angle, hence why I wanted to see if anyone had experienced such things before and if so, what their workaround was.

As for liking the fence the way it is; they don't - but it's all the council offer.

They are maintaining the fence by replacing it when it's damaged. They're replacing it with something that meets their specification for a fence. Unfortunately it doesn't meet yours. If you want privacy and don't want to spend a huge amount, tie bamboo screening to the chain link. Clear it with your neighbour first - officially it's the Council's fence and you shouldn't attach anything to it but they aren't going to know unless someone tells them.

With a council (or any tenancy) the fence between gardens is the responsibility of the tenant. The landlord is not obligated to maintain it

I've actually done some further reading on this (as in I Googled for a bit this morning) and it does seem that I should just feel incredibly lucky to have the council even install a chain link fence.

Ho hum!

I'd have to increase the height of the fence to add bamboo screening (last lot they installed in this area was around 2/3ft high?), and with the winds we get around here I doubt it would last for long (probably another reason for the chain link approach - I do understand it, I just thought that I had rights to have a BBQ without having to see the neighbours that I clearly don't!)

Thanks for the responses all the same, it's been an education!

You have every right to erect a full height fence along the boundary (but within your property) if you want privacy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back