council houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I watched a show that had a set of dumpy coucil houses and I am wondering, is it common for council houses to be in bad condition, or is it because the people who live in there do not take care of them?

Sponsored Links
A bit naughty that reply Breezer,my mother has lived in and looked after her council house for many years as many of her neighbours have as well.

Sponsored Links
Bit of an awkward one to answer this as people have different views.
Council houses were traditionally provided for those that couldn't afford their own housing and also to give occupiers security in their tenancy agreements. As such they were generally built of standard designs and layouts to make it cheaper to build and maintain. Certain estates were built as showpiece estates for soldiers returning from the war to be homes fit for heroes. In many cases they were basic but provided all that was needed to live in a comfortable way.
As time has gone on and budgets of the councils have tightened, the maintenance has been reduced down and down so in some areas the housing stock can be very rundown.
The policies used by certain councils has also had an effect on the mix of population that is put into them Again this can have an effect on the way they are viewed and the whole area they are on is viewed.
Do people look after them? Some do, taking great pride in theme nd often spending a great deal of money on them. Some just don't give a monkeys as the everything is done and paid for by the state and they know they wont have to pay for the repairs. unfortunately many are in deprived areas where unemployment is high and investment low so this can lead to the areas becoming more rundown. The view of certain people on them is often that if you think and treat it as a no go area it will become that as they live up to the reputation.
I personally worked on some of the worst estates and have seen the best and the absolute worst in people. You take as you find it. It can be heartbreaking to see an old couple who have lived in area where they had a certain pride in the whole street, having complete nightmare neighbours move in causing them a living hell.

Hope that goes some way to answering your question!

Thermo

Yes it was a sweeping statement.

The houses themselves are generally better built and better proportioned than the equivalent private(built for profit) houses. The best ones have all been bought now anyway.

As regards the tenants they vary from really nice and decent(as robo's mum) down to the dregs with a mixture in between. The same, to a lesser degree, can also be said about private houses too.

imho, it's the young unmarried girls with loads of kids, on the social etc, who are the worst. They don't pay for anything so don't care for anything either, they are a drain on the country, but that is a different subject.
(it is also another sweeping statement).

robo said:
A bit naughty that reply Breezer,my mother has lived in and looked after her council house for many years as many of her neighbours have as well.

Don't take it to heart old son .... Most of us think for ourselves and take as we find.

P

the talk of council houses makes me steam.,
its the only way i could afford my speedboat/land cruiser.

punchjoshua said:
the talk of council houses makes me steam.,
its the only way i could afford my speedboat/land cruiser.
Give back the council houses to the needy :)

Make local communities responsible for a larger input into who is 'needy'.
I guess the old cultures had respected 'village elders' holding sway etc ..people on the ground who probably know what is going on better than a desk jockey ... with a head full of rule book and as street wise as a new born !!

Who better to decide a person's 'needs' as opposed to 'wants' than someone approaching the end of the telescope where the former is more important than the latter.
P

Sponsored Links
Back