Council tax to rise? oh yes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10910048

"Councils in England are to be offered extra money for every newly-built home, as part of a government programme aimed at easing housing shortages.

Under the New Homes Bonus scheme the government will match the council tax raised on each new house for six years"

hmmm, a strong incentive for councils to put taxes up as high as they possibly can. (and knock out a glut of bargain basement new builds as well)

Sponsored Links
Actually it will be an incentive for councils to approve the building of high tax band houses instead of the low cost ones that are needed...

And it will save the developers a lot of section 106 money!

Same old Tories!

how will that mean a council tax rise... please read it first before posting.....

Sponsored Links
Great call Blas - it appears that Geraint has a selective reading disorder.
Perhaps he / she should re-read it's other thread.
'I don't read links' springs to mind :LOL:

Actually it will be an incentive for councils to approve the building of high tax band houses instead of the low cost ones that are needed...

Thank goodness for that, there's all these poor people moving in to my area and I don't like it one bit.

(now to retire to a safe distance and don my flameproof jacket ;) )

But in all seriousness, round here they seem to be building loads of cheap starter homes and virtually zero £500K+ houses. As houses in this price bracket are not beyond the ordinary in this day and age, doesn't this just drive up the cost of the existing £500K+ houses, as people who are in the market for an expensive house have a smaller choice? This then pushes up the costs further down and so on.

If big houses were dirt cheap like in the US, we'd all be living in massive houses with tiny mortgages. However, we would need to reduce our population by about 40 million to have room for that... and live in houses made of twigs and plasterboard that fall apart whenever anyone even mentions "hurricane".

the post states....... council tax to rise.....

did not and dont have to read the link..... so now you have all read it.... tell me where it says that council tax is going to rise.....

i await......

Great call Blas - it appears that Geraint has a selective reading disorder.
Perhaps he / she should re-read it's other thread.
'I don't read links' springs to mind :LOL:

and i cannot understand a post comes to mind.....

the post states....... council tax to rise.....

did not and dont have to read the link..... so now you have all read it.... tell me where it says that council tax is going to rise.....

i await......

It says it in the title of the thread. I was merely making a prediction. Can you think why I might have proposed that council tax is going to rise based on the information featured in the link?

Sponsored Links
Back