couple of simple questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hopefully someone can help me.

im fitting new plumbing including a 218ltr vented cylinder.

1. i have seen gate valves used on the cold feed before, i also no there is no valve aloud on the vent pipe. Do gate valves restict the flow? i was going to use full bore lever valves if they do.

also i need to buy an 27" element. i have seen 2 types, the standard one, then theres this incalloy type, its only £4 more is it worth the extra i live in a hard water area. thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
some gate valves are restricted.
lever valves are better and they don't snap like gate valves.

are you in a hard water area ?
do you use the immersion or only as back up ?

yes i am in a hard water area, but it will only be used as a back up. Steve

Sponsored Links
Pay the extra becsue it will be expensive to change later. The better one will work for longer in all environments.

50% of unused Gate valves break shut open or half way when we have to use them. many of us insert a bung in the tank instead from the off. So again as stated spend more money on a Peggler lever valve.

And please don't observe the other time honoured practice of twisting the cylinder so the drain off is in back corner. Either bring a pipe round and put drain off on it, or leave it against the side wall facing front with sufficient space around it for a plumbers hands and tools..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back