Couple of tiling queries regarding travertine tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm re-tiling my utility room floor with these tiles:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/220932

The sticky doesn't mention travertine/stone tiles so wasn't sure what advice applied.

The floor is a concrete floor which I have levelled using some self levelling compound (can't remember the brand I'm afraid).

First off, do I need to prime/seal the new layer of self levelling compound before putting down the addy and tiles? If so, what's best to use? The leveller didn't mention either way.

I was going to use this addy: http://www.wickes.co.uk/natural-stone+porcelain-tile-adhesive/invt/206964/

as I've read on here it's best to use a powdered cement based one, not a ready mixed.

Lastly, although the floor is better than it was before the levelling compound went down, there are still a few "height issues" - is it ok to level these out with extra addy, or should these be filled/knocked out accordingly. As these tiles are quite narrow, yet long, I'm not sure how a non-perfect floor will make these look in terms of edges or corners sticking up.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
The sticky doesn't mention travertine/stone tiles so wasn't sure what advice applied.
You must seal travertine before tiles; seal once before laying, clean & seal again before grouting & then seal twice more after grouting. You must also be very careful with adhesive & grout application to avoid staining, don’t slap it around! To reduce risk of bleed through staining use a Flexy Rapidset adhesive suitable for natural stone but Rapidset has a short pot life so don’t mix any more than you can use in around 35 minutes & clean your bucket & tools thoroughly between mixes. Use white adhesive rather than the grey for light coloured travertine, again to reduce risk of staining. Same applies to grout, don’t be tempted to use a dark or light contrasting colour.

The floor is a concrete floor which I have levelled using some self levelling compound (can't remember the brand I'm afraid). First off, do I need to prime/seal the new layer of self levelling compound before putting down the addy and tiles? If so, what's best to use? The leveller didn't mention either way.
Shame you can’t remember which one; it’s unusual to get compatibility issues but when mixing products from different manufacturers, you never know! You should always follow your chosen adhesive manufacturer’s advice for priming; generally it’s not necessary unless it’s an Anhydrite screed or very dusty but use an acrylic primer to be safe, thin to manufacturers instructions.

I would advise you only use quality trade cement powder adhesive & grout, cheap own brand & DIY materials are mostly crap; personally I only ever use BAL but there are other trade adhesives equally as good. Use thick solid bed trowel - 20mm round notches, 10mm deep, at 28mm centres.

as I've read on here it's best to use a powdered cement based one, not a ready mixed.
You must only ever use powder cement adhesive on floors.

Lastly, although the floor is better than it was before the levelling compound went down, there are still a few "height issues" - is it ok to level these out with extra addy, or should these be filled/knocked out accordingly. As these tiles are quite narrow, yet long, I'm not sure how a non-perfect floor will make these look in terms of edges or corners sticking up.
Yes you can level with cement addy but don’t exceed a depth of around 12mm.

Finally, I would advise you read the Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, tiling isnlt rocket science but there are many things that can catch you out & it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes.

Jings - thanks for that.

I've already ordered the tiles, but I wasn't aware I needed to seal them. Will doing so affect the finish on them at all? Reason I ask is I like the fact that they look old and worn - I don't want any kind of shine or sheen on them.

Sponsored Links
Just to jump in a this point your best with a white powdered adhesive, as grey can end up causing a shadow on the tile (because its porous and draws colour through it).

Dont mark the back of the tile with a pen or anything (many do to mark out the cuts) as this also will come through

i'm not familiar with the sealer you pointed out, other options are ltp mattstone or lithofin mn stainstop. both of these i know to be good.

Seal once before grouting, and then as stated by the manufacturer after grouting

ok, white it is. I was a little confused with the sealing - the original reply said to seal before *laying*, not grouting.

So should I lay, then seal, then grout, then seal again?

Thanks for all the info though.

ok, white it is.
Maybe not if your trav tiles are dark! ;)

I was a little confused with the sealing - the original reply said to seal before *laying*, not grouting. So should I lay, then seal, then grout, then seal again?
Your choice really, belt & braces. Sealing the tiles before you lay will ensure minimal risk of bleed through from the adhesive & the cost is minimal. As an aside; it depends on the tiles & quality varies a lot but trav is not an ideal choice for a utility room IMO, laying can also be a problem for the inexperienced.

Will comment on the rest after I’ve had me dinner. ;)

Richard is right, i was assuming they were a normal light\cream trav!

And by rapidset do you mean something such as:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-mapeker-rapid-set-flexible-adhesive-white-20kg/75846[/QUOTE]
That should be OK; when buying Mapei watch what you buy, Mapei Buildfix as sold by some DIY outlets is not the same as Mapei trade products.

Also, is this a suitable tile sealer?

http://www.tiledoctor.co.uk/TD-StoneSealer.html[/QUOTE]
Looks OK but bit expensive; like TPT not familiar with it, have you looked at BAL or Lithofin.

Thanks both. I looked at the sealers recommended and will buy one of those - certainly cheaper!

Cool about the addy - I shall order some of both today.

Last question - should I seal the underside of the tiles as well, or just the tops and sides (or indeed just the tops)?

The object it to prevent accidental staining from the adhesive while you’re laying the tiles. If you get the adhesive mix right (not too sloppy), use the correct trowel & are careful when laying you’ll probably be OK not to seal before laying but if you’re likely to be a bit messy then just seal the top face.

What about those highly polished travertine tiles? Do they need sealing as well? I get the feeling that some tile shops like T***s Tiles will convince you to buy everything whether you need it or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back