course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi have being in the building trade since i was 15(now 41).
i am self employed.and have just being accepted to go on the following course.http://www.calderdale.ac.uk/courses...any help advice would be great thanks dave

Sponsored Links
Depends what your position is?
What are you aiming to get out of the course?
What Is your current trade, is it relevant to the course?
What level of intelligence are you?

hi have being in the building trade since i was 15(now 41).
i am self employed.and have just being accepted to go on the following course.http://www.calderdale.ac.uk/courses...any help advice would be great thanks dave

This is really just a very basic introduction to the electro-technical world and the forms the qualification basis for C&G 2357 Level 3.
As Prenticeboy said, a lot will depend on your skills and abilities, but what this course should give you is an idea of possible pathways into the electrical industry.

Despite what some say on this website, if you have the skills and abilities fastrack courses, are a perfectly good way to enter the industry.

Before taking my degree I looked at a similar course and the tutor allowed me to sit in for a day to see what it was like.

I found the other students were at a very low level did not even realise iron was a conductor.

At this point I already had my C&G2391 and C&G2381 (Now 2382) and the likely hood was I would have just fallen asleep in the course as it was so far below my level. I think the night classes tend to move quicker and push all that goes on in a 6 hour day into 3 hours so far more interesting.

However when you see no qualifications are required to enter the course one must expect it to be boring where students are taught the simplest of maths for example. And often the maths is general and classes will combine for Maths, English and IT so you will be taught things you don't really need to know.

Much will depend on your level of education. Going back to college (In my case because disabled and unable to work) can be quite a strain. I found I was lacking in some skills which young kids knew and also over the top with other parts.

We were for example give a home work where the expected answer was that you can't find the square root to a negative number. But I knew all about imaginary numbers so spent ages doing the sums. The homework should have said find real answers and the guy setting it missed off word real.

Courses designed for older students tend to have far more taught per hour and need some knowledge before you start.

I would go to the college and ask to see the lecturer as normally they will advise if the course will move at a reasonable rate or not.

Even some courses where you are required to have some qualification can vary as to what is really required. So go and talk to them.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the honest comments guys.
im a decent all rounder general builder and have always done my own electrics and got a mate in to final fit and test.
the thing is i don't need to get qualified quickly just properly.

im looking a little into the future and can not see me lugging blocks and plaster about in 10 years time. not that electrics carnt be hard graft but a little less so..

thanks dave

robbo, how much electrical work have you done? If you have done a significant amount and you have had exposure to inspecting and testing Then I would say the course is not right for you - it may be too basic.

Now I am the first to say that many of the practical city & guilds courses lack the underlying electrical science component but I would encourage you (based on your expected responses to my questions above) to consider City & Guilds 2391-10 Despite the course not covering much in the way of electrical science no one will pass it if they are not competent. There is a practical assesment of 1 day and a written exam 2.5 hours (written not multiple choice) The pass rate is variable and has been (as far as I understand) as low as 49% which is a good thing because if you complete C&G 2391-10 then you earned it.

I have been in the industry for a long time and before that in the semiconductor business. I have completed higher education (30 years ago) in electrical engineering but the 2391 which I only took just over 2 years ago really tested me more than anything else. I failed the practical first time attempt. I spent too long doing a PIR on a 3Ph&N test rig so had to take that component again. C&G 2391-10 is not about complex numbers or electrical science, it is a test of practical competency which is reasonably well respected in the industry in my opinion.

thanks for the reply sparkticus.

i have a lot of basic household electrical experience.smoke alarms emergency lighting etc.but lack the science aspects and the actual qualifications.

even though this course does start basic it does lead to the City & Guilds 2391-10
qualification after the 2 year course.which is my ultimate goal also after the first year you can run the testing course inline with it.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back