Cover basement air vents for efficiency during winter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating pipes although lagged run throughout my basement which has the normal half dozen air vents which; I believe help it to breathe to prevent dry rot. My question is rather than these pipes basking in sub-zero temperatures through the winter ; can I block these vents temporarily till spring to improve insulation? :?: All my skirting boards have been silicon sealed but I obstructing the vents will further improve any possible heat wastage. Combi boiler fitted in family room so no gas ventilation issues in the basement.

VENT14.JPG

Sponsored Links
If two or more sides are ventilated, it might be better to consider blocking the vents on one side only to cut out cross flow. Basic ventilation will continue but strong through air currents will be reduced.

If your pipes are insulted with foam, don’t bother. If it is still the old fashioned stuff, replace it with foam. That will make more difference than blocking out part of the vents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back