Covering a cement floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to renovate my ex-council house and one thing that has always bugged me is that on the ground floor the livingroom floor (which is wooden floor boards) is about an inch lower then the flooring in the kitchen and utility area.

I recently took down a wall to make the utility area a bit bigger in doing so I removed a small section of the floor.

To me it looks like an 18mm thick bitumen floor covering on top of a cement screed, the flooring is hard and looks like a kind of black tar, it seems to be slightly flexible but slightly brittle too.

I should mention that it's an end terrace property with damp proofing and the kitchen is located at the end of the terrace.

What I'd like to do is remove the bitumen to reduce the floor level so I can tile the floor. I don't want to tile on top of it as this will raise the floor level up further to the rest of the house than it already is, but I also don't want to compromise something that could be preventing damp.

My thoughts were to take up the floor and put down a thin bitumen screed and eventually tile it. But where the cabinets wil be just put down a new 18mm bitumen screed like i have there now, as the cabinets will be near the exterior wall. Then I can put down some flooring in the rest of the house so all the floors on the ground floor are on the same level.

I know I don't know what I'm talking about, just trying to research my options.

Appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back