Crack in brick work - any comments?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a house in london, and the surveyor has noticed a small crack (1mm-2mm) in the external brickwork - no visible crack on the inside of the house (although wallpapered). This was a full structural survey. He has mentioned that this is not serious at all. I have also sent a photo to a structual surveyor (friend of a friend) and he also says nothing to worry about - thermal crack etc. I would be grateful if you have any comments before the the sale progresses further.

Matthew

View media item 26025 View media item 26026
View media item 26027 View media item 26028

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Posh name for an expansion crack

Changes in temperature and/or water content can cause expansion/contraction in the wall, and it cracks very quickly as the wall tries to cool down or dry out.

Thermal crack old or new whatever; maybe I'm being over fussy but, personally, I’d always be concerned where cracks snap bricks instead of following the mortar joint lines :confused:

Most of these are once only events.

I think I mentioned it on here before, but I looked at several low-rise flats of the same construction but different locations, and all of these cracked vertically one springtime after some cold wet weather and a mini heatwave. One resident explained how he heard the walls snap while in the garden

These had all been built 30 or so years previously and had no problems in the previous years, so we put it down to an extreme set of circumstances

Hey, what the ...... how the hell did he get out.

Come on now, back up the stairs with you :mad:

I presume from the lack of any further comments - everyone is in agreement with Woody?....
Not entirely or didn't you spot my post :confused: ; Woody may well be right but I expressed caution as it's rather difficult to be certain just looking a photo of external brickwork. I’d also want to have a good look around at other possible factors & the inside wall.

Looking at this from a point in the future, if the crack turns out to be more "sinister" than a thermal crack, for example the dreaded Subsidence then you will have a full come back on the Professional indemnity insurance of the Surveyor who proffered the opinion that the crack was only "Thermal"

Provide the report to your mortgage provider, this to ensure that they are appraised of all facts prior to agreeing to a loan, likewise provide this report to your buildings Insurer, just to make sure that all parties that you will need on your side in any future fight are appraised of the situation prior to taking on the "so called risk" and offering a mortgage / offering cover for Insurance purposes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back