crack in newly plastered ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen ceiling has just been skimmed flat. Prob is that most of the ceiling had a grey colour plaster already on it. A small area was just the original ceiling board. But between the two of these was a large crack and a small hole. The plasterer filled made good then skimmed over entire ceiling flat.
It is now aprrox a week later I have not painted it yet but there is a fine hairline crack following almost the same pattern as the original bigger one.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this crack getting any wider. If you can make head or tails of this good luck.

Sponsored Links
Is the crack in a straight line?

If so its probably down to the fact that either the plasterer hasnt used joint tape...or...there is a lot of movement in the ceiling itself.

You could try raking the crack out first then filling it....but im not sure that it will work, you could line the ceiling...or use a product called evencil...its a thick flexible emulsion made by polycell...personally I dont like the bumpy finish it leaves..but it may sort out your problem

Hi thanks for replying. It is not a straight crack. I have purchaseed some of the emulsion that you speak of and I will give it a try. Maybe I could just use it on the crack line itself and not the rest of ceiling. :D

jane10001 said:
Hi thanks for replying. It is not a straight crack. I have purchaseed some of the emulsion that you speak of and I will give it a try. Maybe I could just use it on the crack line itself and not the rest of ceiling. :D

Youl have to do the whole ceiling...it will show otherwise..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back