Crack through single brick. Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just noticed that there's a vertical crack straight through a single brick on the front elevation of our house.

It's about six foot off ground level and I can't see any damage to other bricks or mortar in the surrounding areas.

Any ideas what caused this or of it is a problem?

20200516_115143.jpg

Sponsored Links
That crack could of been there from when your house was built

Appears nothing to worry about but of course now you've noticed it you can't unsee it!

That joint ( perp ) is so tight it's little more than a crack.

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, Nige. I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean? Can you explain in simple terms what has happened? Do I need to be concerned or is it just one of those things?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Any ideas what caused this
The brickies. That and the brush marks in the pointing - either overzealous brushing or brushing too soon because they wanted to leave site early or the site brick cleaners having a field day with the acid.

Either way, they have aged your pointing by about 10 years.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Funny how you can go years without noticing something.

Enjoy your evenings

Checked closely on this today and the brickies must have really hit it hard - there's actually three cracks in the brick, though granted they are hard to see.

Given these extra cracks, does it need replacing, or is it ok ti leave?

20200529_145802.jpg

First off, you either have excellent eye sight or you must have been so bored to spot them.
Second, I have lived in houses nearly 100 years old with bigger cracks and they are still standing. Brickies, and other trades, can sometimes be a little heavy handed but from the small section you have shown us the wall looks quite substantially in good order. I think you are worrying over nothing.

It might be the key brick. Remove it and the other 4999 might come crashing down.

I should come round and professionally inspect every one for you for let's say 20p a brick, including full colour report.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back