cracked plastic bath - cheap bodge needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was having a shower today and heard an ominous crack sound. I checked the bath and theres a crack about two inches long appeared.
Can anyone suggest a short term bodge that I can do to keep it useable for a couple of weeks or so ?
Would duck tape do it (I don't mind if I have to stick a new bit on every few days) ?

Reason I don't need a proper repair is that the new bathroom will be in use in a couple of weeks and the old one is getting ripped out then.

Sponsored Links
The first thing I would do is to drill a small hole at each end of the crack to stop it extending. Then as a 'bodge' I would use a bit of silicon sealer and cover it with one of the 'repair' tapes you can buy in DIY stores. I am not sure if gaffa tape will take the heat...

Not tried this myself but it should work as a temporary fix.

Ralph.

have a look underneath.

It has presumably cracked because it is not properly supported.

Plastic ones usually have a piece of chipboard glued to the bottom to stiffen them.

If it is not properly supported it is liable to crack again tomorrow, and your repair will be over-stressed

Sponsored Links
Pig - hi-spec's solution is the one to use. New bathroom??? New bath??? Shower in new bath??? Will the new bath crack??? Maybe not right now whilst you are fit & slim, but when the middle-age spread appears cheap baths (eg. 5mm thick budget stuff from B&Q) run the risk of cracking. For a little more money get a stronger tub, say an 8mm thick one or for a bit more, a Carronite (reinforced).

New bathroom has seperate shower and a steel bath so I can raid the bisuit tin with impugnity.

there's a bodge used on truck wheel arches you could use

Drill a hole at each end of the crack to stop it spreading

then drill holes opposite each other 1/2" apart and 1" across the crack

use tywraps/cable ties to stitch the crack together but don't tighten them fully

spread silicone sealer over both sides of the repair then tighten off the cable ties

I've used a bit of epoxy resin on it and it looks to be sealed ok. The only problem is that the resin looks a bit like a bodily fluid sitting in the bath and sooner or later someone is going to jump to the conclusion that i've knocked one out in the bath :eek:
Maybe I need to put a sign up...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back