Cracks and holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had the plasterboard pulled down to install some Kingspan for soundproofing and found this http://www.flickr.com/photos/66811383@N04/.
Surely it can't be right,it's worrying as this is the concrete that separates the flat above from ours.Please copy and paste if link does not work,thanks.

Sponsored Links
noseall is rite on the question of kingspan for soundproofing. Sounds like a waste of money as there are some great soundproof products out there!! As for the cracks it's hard to say. But i'd look it to it. Wouldn't worry till i found something to worry about. Look in to how, why and when. Then you'll know what to expect if anything.

It is vey thick Kingspan and there is insulation above that so we're not just relying on that,i should have explained sorry.I have tried to write to the builders regarding the cracks and i keep getting the standard reply,it was built to regs,one of these cracks goes through to the boarding of the flat above,surely not normal?

Sponsored Links
The only way to get noise reduction is to give the flat above a very good quality carpet underlay free of charge with free fitting. Kingspan is pointless.

If you are writing to the builders, presumably it is a recent build.

In that case it will have an insurance policy againgst major faultsbut as always in insurance these are not easy to claim against and you must follow the required steps or they won't play ball.

You should know the name of the insurer as it will be mentioned in their sales literature - main one is NHBC and then , Zurich, I think.

Either write again by recorded delivery re-stating your problem and ask them to give details of how to initiate the procedure for a claim against their insurance as they are not giving a reasonable reply or look up the web-site for the insurer and possibly ask them what the procedure is if your builder refuses to answer your query sensibly.

It was built in 2007 and we moved in 09,the people who owned it before had nobody living above them so did not experience the problem.If i write recorded and request insurers info then what is the next step?If this was just a noisy neighbour problem it would be different but the noises we hear should not be transferring into our property.When they wash up and chop food it sounds like they are in our kitchen,when the close bedroom drawers it's like they are in our bedroom and when they shower and use the loo we can hear what they are upto.We should not have to listen to them urinating and defacating in there own loo.

My previous comments only refer to the cracks as I thought that was your main concern.

It is likely to be true that build was to spec as I don't believe any sound-proofing was required in 2007 ( somebody correct me if wrong ) and the builder has already said it was to spec.

You could ask them to confirm what the spec was when built* and check if it correct.

* Have just remembered that the spec is not when it was built but from when it was granted planning-permission. So if it is part of a big estate, the spec may be from a couple of years earlier.

There is also the possibility/liklihood that the guys who built the place cut corners when building it and there is therefore noise transfer because of poor practice but the developers can't know that and you would have to do your own investigations to see if there is any unusual bridging between floors etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back