Cracks - bay window - breeze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just brought a new house and following stripping the walls in my son's bedroom I have noticed a crack on both sides of the bay window - from the skirting board to just under the window sill. if you put your hand against the one side you can feel a breeze but cannot see daylight.

Unfortunately you cannot see anything from the outside as the bay is tiled. I'm really concerned that this is going to cost a lot put right - on top of everything else we're paying for is this a big job and should we be concerned.

The valuer would not have seen anything as it was covered over with wallpaper.

Please help

Sponsored Links
Can you take a photo of the outside of the bay, and the whole recess on the inside? There are many different types of bay window.

The outside being tiled suggests timber frame, in which case it probably rests on the window below. Are the windows PVC? These normally settle a little after fitting, causing a few cracks. Depends how well the bay was constructed. Ours are carp, we're having them removed and flattened.

A skim of plaster is probably all thats needed, though I'd dig deeper, take off the plasterboard / laths thats there and insulate with a deeper frame - its probably not insulated if theres a draught.

I'll take a photograph next time I'm there - is it likely to be an expensive job?

Not unless you pay to have the film developed. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the cracks are normal/common. Put some mesh across and replaster

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice -we're more concerned about the fact you can feel a breeze and the cracks are quite large - suprised the previous owner just wallpapered over the cracks....

Assuming this is a "new to you" house, but is really an old semi, then this is very common and if it was going anywhere would probably have ripped the wallpaper previously.

These bays are mostly built on the frames below and can move naturally early on in life , or if there have been plastic windows fitted then this disturbs things a little.

Repair as I said and monitor or if you like, screw some galvanised metal straps across. Squirt a load of silicone in the crack to seal it, and then plaster

But unless you use mesh, then there will always be a slight hairline crack there in future, but this does not mean it's a problem

It's only a probelm if it widens progressively.

Thank you for your advice - it's my first house semi. I'll try your suggestions - thanks again, much appreciate it.

Don't worry. It's a 'breeze block'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back