Crazy kitchen worktop idea - travertine tiles under glass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

As part of our complete flat refurb starting next month we'll be putting in new kitchen and reckon almost settled on design, except for worktops.

The base units will be white gloss with light grey wood grain effect, probably benchmarx monaco range.

Wall units will be white gloss carcasses with lovingly refurbished (hopefully) 1970s retro modernist Poggenpohl solid mahogony doors we found on ebay (can't post links to pics yet annoyingly, but google '1970s poggenpohl mahogany kitchen' and it's ones in first listed page).

Given that the floor is most likely a light strand woven bamboo and the kitchen is in an open plan basement living area we don't want anything too dark for worktops, and ideally something reflective without being a nightmare to keep clean and non-scratched. Anything wood effect would be overkill with different wood surfaces already in room and having spent ages trying to match worktops to white doors in showroom reckon some sort of mid grey colour best, but really want something with natural stone texture.

So here's the potentially very daft idea...

We really like the rustic look of some of the travertine stones, but they seem totally impractical for worktops. So were wondering if it's possible to put some large format 600mm tiles onto a chipboard base, then top the whole thing with a clear glass worktop and finish with a brushed aluminium edge profile. Have seen similar glass over tile effect done on splashbacks, but never as a worktop, which leads me to suspect may be problems involved. Has anyone ever done / seen something like this, or see any reason why can't be done? My suspicion is that unless the glass is completely flat against the tiles there is a risk of cracking due to the uneven pressure, but if glass thick enough and tiles are honed flat then maybe this isn't a problem? I'd presume weight of glass on tiles will keep them pretty well anchored without needing normal thickness layer of adhesive so should ideally be pretty even flat surface anyway. Perhaps.

Thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
So here's the potentially very daft idea...
Sorry mate but, personally, I think you got that pretty much right :LOL:

For a start the glass must be toughened to comply with safety legislation, it’ll have to be tailor made, possibly 8-10mm thick & will weigh a ton. Add the weight of the tiles &, say, 22mm ply backing I wonder if the carcasses will actually support the total load without buckling; don’t even think about using crap board as a support, WBP ply only. There must be no stress points on the glass mounting so laying over tiles could be difficult or it may shatter & the tiles must be properly bedded or the weight of the glass may crack those; drop anything on it & it’ll probably shatter & glass also scratches surprisingly easy. We had an Italian toughened glass dinning table for some years & it looked pretty crap after a couple of years use, ceramic plates & dishes will scratch glass. The cost of the glass is likely to be eye wateringly prohibitive & it’ll probably be cheaper to go for a natural or even reconstituted stone worktop, did you not consider those :?:

Hi Dan. I don't think your idea's too daft. I don't think weight's an issue, granite would be much heavier. there are some very good clear silicones that could go in between the tiles and glass. The problems I see are, cutting the glass to the shape you need, holes for sinks cookers etc. Also as Richard says, the glass scratches easily.

For a start the glass must be toughened to comply with safety legislation, it’ll

so where is the legislation on worktops.

Sponsored Links
Extracts reproduced from Safety glazing of furniture;

Two British Standards cover the use of glass in furniture. They are : BS 7376 & BS 7449.

Tables and Trolleys

Unbacked Glass : When glass greater than 0.02m2 is used in the construction of tables and trolleys and is not supported over its entire area, the glass must comply with the size and type limitations as laid out in table 1.

Backed Glass : When glass greater than 0.02m2 is used in the construction of tables and trolleys and is supported over the entire area, the glass must comply with the type and limitations as laid out in table 2.

When safety glass, in accordance with BS 6206, is required it must be marked with the relevant standard.

Extracts reproduced from Safety glazing of furniture;

Two British Standards cover the use of glass in furniture. They are : BS 7376 & BS 7449.

Tables and Trolleys

Unbacked Glass : When glass greater than 0.02m2 is used in the construction of tables and trolleys and is not supported over its entire area, the glass must comply with the size and type limitations as laid out in table 1.

Backed Glass : When glass greater than 0.02m2 is used in the construction of tables and trolleys and is supported over the entire area, the glass must comply with the type and limitations as laid out in table 2.

When safety glass, in accordance with BS 6206, is required it must be marked with the relevant standard.

did not realise that a worktop was a table or a trolley.....

There is a difference.......

one is fitted.... and guess what...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's a fixed surface & is classed as a table with backed surface ******. But if you don’t like that one there is another BS for glass fixed to furniture.

not trolling, but would love to know where is rule or regulation that states you cannot have glass on your worktop.

a table is not a "fixed" furniture.but a worktop is. it may be well above 800mm so 6.4mm lam should suffice.....

As I said, in my last post which contained no insults but which Mods have kindly seen fit to delete along with your drivel; arguing with you is pointless & of no help whatsoever to the OP & I can’t be asred or waste my time on it. Why not stick to "General" where everyone seems to love daily lashings of slagging & pedantic comment; or, loose the baiting & antagonism, get a life & make informative & useful contributions on the trade forums which, I hate to say, you may even have the intelligence to be capable of.
wave.gif

As I said, in my last post which contained no insults but which Mods have kindly seen fit to delete along with your drivel; arguing with you is pointless & of no help whatsoever to the OP & I can’t be asred or waste my time on it. Why not stick to "General" where everyone seems to love daily lashings of slagging & pedantic comment; or, loose the baiting & antagonism, get a life & make informative & useful contributions on the trade forums which, I hate to say, you may even have the intelligence to be capable of.
wave.gif

I couldn't agree more.

Mod's,,, as usual, the reply above has nothing to do with the topic/tiling whatsoever,, it's got more to do with causing trouble,, (repeatedly),, than anything else. Surely,, another one for the bin!

The previous trolling reply by geraint has since been deleted by Mod;s. ;)

Mod's,,, as usual, the reply above has nothing to do with the topic/tiling whatsoever,, it's got more to do with causing trouble,, (repeatedly),, than anything else. Surely,, another one for the bin!

is this the bin where you threatend me then lost your bottle.... or was it for another reason.....

and you quoted you had another reason....

I.E. a MODERATOR. Now you have a new shadow....

try again then small man.... as you seem to be joining the inane....

Jesus. i thought that E.T was sad.... GROW UP men....

and its only wednesday :confused:

Mod's,,, sort this out!!!!

wave.gif

I couldn't agree more.

are you agreeing on the insults or the real definition of safety glass and what you can do with it.... or not with it...

happy days....

Trollers like geraint, do this Site/Forums no favours Mod's.

Trolling again!! Nothing to do with tiling at all Mod's. Killing the OP's topic.

Yes!! :LOL:

Thank you Mod 10. Diynot has built up a great reputation over the years. Many members on here put a lot of time and effort into giving detailed advice/information that posters are looking for in solving a problem. It's always an argumentitive minority who try to spoil it for the rest. People wont put up with it anymore, and with quick possitive action from the Mod's, it can be nipped in the bud. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back