Creaky noggins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i walked over our new extension floor in each room the floor would make a creaking/cracking sound.Now i've got the the bed walldrobes in one of the rooms most of the creaking has stoped.But the other isn't going to have any weight in on the floor.
Is there some spray glue that i can spray between the joist and noggin to stop the creaking or any other ideas

thanks nyck

Sponsored Links
If I presume the floor covering is moisture resistant chipboard the creaking could be the floor covering moving against the joists under loading.. If The boarding isn't firm against the joist surface and the the board isn't fixed regularly every 150 mm there is a tendency for the covering to flex. The noise is a conbination of the tongue and groove creaking as the boards flex....

The cheapest option is to try talcum powder in the joints first.

I have the same problem - only I took up the floor (damp resistant green chipboard) and re-laid it, glueing the boards to the joists AND noggins - no great change. When the ceiling below was pplastered, it all went quiet.... until, that is, it all dried out and off it went again - cracking and creaking like mad!!

I am wondering about making a small hole in the flooring by the end of each noggin and injecting some dilute PVA adhesive in a bit at a time until it had soaked in. Who knows, it might work - hopefully before the noise drives me insane!!

Sponsored Links
Fiar enough, but how long will the talc do the job for? Don't really want to be taking the carpets up in 6months time 'cos its doing it again!

shadders said:
I have the same problem - only I took up the floor (damp resistant green chipboard) and re-laid it, glueing the boards to the joists AND noggins - no great change.
Did you glue the T&G :?:

Shouldn't really glued onto the joists and noggins as you will have timber expansion against the chipboards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back