Crimping for Caravaners (for amusement)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just came across this on a caravan blog site, describing setting up a mains supply set up in a caravan. Good grief….

crimp.jpg

Sponsored Links
A blowlamp is the only way to get the cable/lug hot enough to ensure a good soldered connection. I used to use an oxy-acetylene torch to make up the main battery cables when I was "on the spanners". However, for those without such niceties, a good temporary(?) job can be done with a rather large hammer and something which won't break to hit it against!

Sponsored Links
I suspect not. I've melted away insulation with my poor soldering skills a few times :whistle: and that's nowhere the temperature of oxyacetylene!

Wet rag around the end of the cable, fierce flame on the oxy-acetylene to heat the lug quickly, sweat the solder in, take the rag off and quickly blow the tip of the lug with compressed air to cool it, making sure you don't blow the solder out. The wet rag keeps the insulation 'cool' and residual heat, whilst cooling the lug down, helps to evaporate any which remains.

I used to put charger plugs on milk float leads, used to love filling the terminals with molten solder and pushing the cable in, suppose hardly ever done nowadays

I see that the cable is labelled as being 16MM2, why is he using such a big cable as the supply to a caravan is usually supplied through a 16 amp mcb? Many caravan sites have less that 16a, some as low as 6a. 16MM2 is a massive overkill.

OK I looked again and realised it is the 12v battery cables but I can't work out how to delete this post.

Wet rag around the end of the cable, fierce flame on the oxy-acetylene to heat the lug quickly, sweat the solder in, take the rag off and quickly blow the tip of the lug with compressed air to cool it, making sure you don't blow the solder out. The wet rag keeps the insulation 'cool' and residual heat, whilst cooling the lug down, helps to evaporate any which remains.
Spot-on Conny!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back