Cross Battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All - I'm raising the height of the floor in my loft to secure down some loft boards.. I'm going down the cross battening route. My existing joists are 65mm high and I'm using 45x95mm battens.. I'm getting 6x130mm wood screws to fix the new battens to the joists. Should I be drilling pilot holes before screwing down the screws.. I was thinking I wont get a drill bit thin enough and long enough to make pilot holes so worried about splitting the battens or worse the joists..

Hope that makes sense..

Jag

Sponsored Links
100x5mm screws one each side at 45ish degrees no pilot needed

Thanks for the tip guys.. Think the drill bit in question is too thick at 5mm for pilot holes as the screws are 6mm

Putting the screws in at an angle could work though so will consider that..

I'm getting 6x130mm screws so I can technically screw the battens down from the top as the batten is 95mm high and the beams are 65mm high, but if no pilot holes are required I should be okay to screw straight through

Regards

Jag

Sponsored Links
Cool.. I'll find a drill bit that is long enough to pilot drill the holes.. 4x130mm should do the job

Jag

IMO it is more use to drill the battens, there is nothing to be gained from having the screw thread bite through them.

yeah true I can see what your saying.. just drill through the battens to stop them from splitting and not worry about pilot holes for the beams.. I guess that would make more sense..

Jag

IMO it is more use to drill the battens, there is nothing to be gained from having the screw thread bite through them.

its actually far better to not grip the batons because as you stand on the joists to do the work they will sag causing a gap between batons and joists that wont pull shut if it grips

oh right I see what you mean.. Something else to think about.. I'll be a boarding expert by the time this I'm through with this.. Thanks for you input

Jag

Thanks for the tip guys.. Think the drill bit in question is too thick at 5mm for pilot holes as the screws are 6mm

Putting the screws in at an angle could work though so will consider that..

I'm getting 6x130mm screws so I can technically screw the battens down from the top as the batten is 95mm high and the beams are 65mm high, but if no pilot holes are required I should be okay to screw straight through

Regards

Jag
Screw head would be larger than the 6mm, or you could use a washer, or a smaller bit.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...yJBAg1ohQvqdL4QfnRS6VovPJJEop1L5IaxoCeDnw_wcB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back