Crown Trade Covermatt pin holes help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone come across a problem when using this paint on top of Wickes skim plaster which has been applied on top of their ready mixed bonding agent?

I have used this combination twice after removing textured wallpaper and artex from ceilings in our 1960's ex council house and I get random groups of pin holes.

The first time I applied several skims of the plaster until they finally disappeared.

This second time I have applied 3 to 4 coats of the Covermatt until they went.
I noticed that initially the hole blows the paint up into a tiny bubble then when the paint is thick/tacky enough it sucks it back.

Any ideas on what causes this and how I might stop this happening would be appreciated,

Bern

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't be painting until you have successfully plastered the wall. It shouldn't have little holes in it.

Joe,

I take your point.
The first ceiling I didn't paint until I had skimmed at least 3 times to get rid of the holes.

On the second ceiling I used the paint to "fill" the holes after the first skim showed them up. In this instance I was attempting to use the paint as a very thin "hole filler". The holes have now either disappeared or turned into very shallow dimples.

Do you think there is possibly something in the original layers that were created in the past through applying artex, paint, wallpaper etc which is rejecting the bonding agent or skim plaster which I am now applying? If so should I try brushing on a base coat of say Zinsser Bullseye 123 before the skim plaster?

Incidentally all the walls I have done, (hall, stairs, landing, bedrooms, kitchen) have been fine after I removed the textured wallpaper and artex. They have taken the bonding agent, skim, Crown and various makes of coloured paints without any problems.

So it seems like it's just the ceilings that are causing the problem. Maybe this explains why they were artexed in the first place?

Bern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back