CSCS card, no C&G or NVQ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have applied for my second CSCS card, as my old one expired in Dec, my last card was a green card, labourer, I had been out of the country working in NZ, so I just needed a card, any card as it was the easiest and quickest to get hold of
please can you advise me , I did not finish my apprenticeship and have not taken a NVQ, I worked for Drake & scull, for many years way back before CSCS cards were introduced, I left them and went to work for a gas installation company, I went to college and sat and passed my acops, which I needed to become Corgi registered , Corgi came out to my home, inspected my acops, and after becoming registered they visited me and inspected my work, so i became a registered Gas fitter
I worked for myself for one year, 99% of my work was fitting gas fires, taking out old ones, ie back boilers ect ect, which we all know is one of the most responsible jobs, ie the consequences if done badly can be fatal, anyway I started working for a company after one year, did not renew my Corgi registration, and became a plumber, no longer working on gas.
I phoned gas safe the other day who still have me on file as being a registered gas installer between 1995 -96,
Now I have just passed my plumbing cscs test today, and don't really want to land up with just a labourers card again.
Do you think it is possible to get a Blue plumbers card, without have finished or passed a NVQ, which we all know is utter tosh, as I have worked with many people with these so called NVQ qualifications, and half couldn't hang a rad on a wall straight .
Any info would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have applied for my second CSCS card, as my old one expired in Dec, my last card was a green card, labourer, I had been out of the country working in NZ, so I just needed a card, any card as it was the easiest and quickest to get hold of
please can you advise me , I did not finish my apprenticeship and have not taken a NVQ, I worked for Drake & scull, for many years way back before CSCS cards were introduced, I left them and went to work for a gas installation company, I went to college and sat and passed my acops, which I needed to become Corgi registered , Corgi came out to my home, inspected my acops, and after becoming registered they visited me and inspected my work, so i became a registered Gas fitter
I worked for myself for one year, 99% of my work was fitting gas fires, taking out old ones, ie back boilers ect ect, which we all know is one of the most responsible jobs, ie the consequences if done badly can be fatal, anyway I started working for a company after one year, did not renew my Corgi registration, and became a plumber, no longer working on gas.
I phoned gas safe the other day who still have me on file as being a registered gas installer between 1995 -96,
Now I have just passed my plumbing cscs test today, and don't really want to land up with just a labourers card again.
Do you think it is possible to get a Blue plumbers card, without have finished or passed a NVQ, which we all know is utter tosh, as I have worked with many people with these so called NVQ qualifications, and half couldn't hang a rad on a wall straight .

Are you PAYE with a Plumbing firm mate?

Are you PAYE with a Plumbing firm mate?

Thanks for the reply,
No I have had all my work through a agency, since returning from NZ, working for 3 company's, mainly, all long turn contracts even running one job start to finish, a old school being turned into a 3 screen cinema, I don't mind being self employed, I always get paid on time, and not being on the cards doesn't bother me, but if it meant being taken on the cards, the company I am working for now, would be happy to take me on.

Sponsored Links
But you did say you passed 'my plumbing CSCS today' so you'll get a Plumbers' card.

I passed the citb, test yes, which you need to do to apply for a cscs card, but to apply for a skilled blue plumbers card, somewhere it says you have to include your C&G or NVQ qualifications , which I do not have. I understand that they need to weed out the chancers, who don't have the skill, but to have been Gas registered, and 20 + yrs in the trade, this cscs must have to work on sites now, is a pain in the a***, I will ring the Citb, office next week, and argue my case. Just wanted to know if anyone has also come up with this problem.

fyfyfyfyfyyfyfy.PNG

But there's plenty organisation doing CSCS cards why use CITB? If you're a SE Plumber why not just pay for your own Plumbing CSCS test with any training centre that wants your money??

I have paid for and passed the test, yes there might be many places that run test centres and take your money, I am through this stage, but there is only one place that issues the cscs Skilled cards.
I have already taken the test, a silly multi choice 50 questions test. I have passed the test but the next stage is to send this pass paper, with a NVQ / C&G, which I do NOT have.

Just claim 'Grandfather rights'. Just wing it.
Or borrow a pals qualifications, photo copy them & change the name. Easily done with a scanner & computer. They'll never check anyway it's only a daft H&S card FFS.

Just claim 'Grandfather rights'. Just wing it.
Or borrow a pals qualifications, photo copy them & change the name. Easily done with a scanner & computer. They'll never check anyway it's only a daft H&S card FFS.
This is a great idea!
(Been plumbing & gas fitting 20 years but my boss died before I finished my NVQ & being young, never chased it up)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back