CU voltage with main isolator open

CBX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all

Tested CU today which had 2.5Vac L & E and L & N in load side of CU with main isolator open. All MCBs were open also. Load side L to supply side L was 50Vac or so.

When closing the MCBs the potential difference dropped to 0 and the load L to supply L went to a normal 245Vac.

Is this expected behaviour?

Sponsored Links
If the main isolator was open you would expect a 0V reading, what instruments were you testing with and is it in calibration?

Thanks for the reply. That's what I expected too.

I'm using a digital miltimeter (Mastech MS8229). I know this is not a professional tool, though it has given me expected readings on everything else.

When closing the MCBs, the L & N pd is 0Vac and when all open L & N pd is 2.5Vac

Sponsored Links
Any idea why this is?

I don't think it is due to a faulty main isolator.

If you are testing across the L on an open mainswitch then remember that with the MCBs open as well on the dead side the L terminal will just be floating so although isolated from the energised side it will not have a neutral or earth reference. This means that the voltage measured across the L terminals of the switch could be anything.
If you left the main switch open but closed all the MCBs then the dead side would reference to neutral through any connected loads so you would see 230/240v across the L terminals of the main switch.
The small measure voltages L/E or L/N could be caused by circulating currents in the main protective bonding conductors, combines with maybe some small N/E faults.

Thanks very much for that - that makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back