CU Wiring Technique

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all.

Just wondering how the proper electricains out there go about wiring CUs with reference to pulling in the individual twin & earth cables?

Do you prefer to pull in and strip all cables and then connect up the bank of CPCs and neutrels before moving on to the MCB connections or do you bring in each cable in turn and make all 3 connections in turn before moving on to the next cable?

Any views or opinions on the best methods with regards to neatness/ease/time?

Reason for the question is myself and my work mates are all plant and machinery sparks so CUs are not something we do all that often but due to an overhaul of the office space in our factory, we have 4 CUs (all Hager and in good condition) to move over the Easter shutdown so thought some advice from sparks doing it day in day out may save us some frustration.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

ATB

BP

Sponsored Links
Wallboard with stilts to provide a gap at the rear helps. I always go with rear cable entry, never side / top or bottom. I like the sealed look that avoiding side, top and bottom entry affords.

Once cabling is started do the tails and main earth first, then work from largest load circuit down. Although there isn't an absolute need most still want highest load circuit nearest main switch or rcd.

I tend to do earth cpc 1st, the neutral and sharpie mark the live position. I don't populate the board with mcbs untill all the earth CPUs and neutrals are terminated and loomed in.

I always loom with 50mm or so spare core for flexibility, and by going rear in to the cu there's always another 50mm of slack on the cable- just in case things have to be shuffled around in the future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back