Cup hinge door sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have cupboard space that i'd like some new doors for. The opening is 1230x550. I like the idea of using concealed cup hinges, with that in mind could somebody please advise on door sizes? i'm planning on using two doors but as I understand it the doors will need to be larger than the opening?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The opening you are spanning is not really the issue. the question has to be how big is the cabinet overall? This is because the doors are lay-on type and they cover not just the opening, but the sides, top and bottom.

Normally kitchen unit doors are sized 5mm smaller in each direction than the cabinet itself, so a 720h x 500w unit would get a door 715h x 495w, but in that instance you need the 5mm to give clearance where you have cabinets side by side. Similarly a 720h x 1200mm kitchen cabinet (sink unit, etc) would get two doors 715h x 595w.

If the opening is in masonry and is 1230x550 you'll still need to have some material at each side (strips of 15mm or 18mm melamione faced chipboard or a similar thickness piece of softwood) to carry the hinges - they can't really be fixed onto masonry or plasterboard - and your doors in that case will still need to be 545h x 610w each.

You can use the same type of hinge to fit the doors INSIDE the opening you just need to buy the cranked arm type which are called "inset" rather than "Lay-on"

Which dimension is the height and which the width?

If you do go for the lay-on type you also need to know the thickness of the carcase as the hinge mounting plates are generally designed for 18mm carcases but you can also get ones for 15mm carcases.

J

Sponsored Links
I've added a pic of the cupboard for better illustration. As you can see 1230 refers to the width. The size of the cabinet is not the issue here as i'm not going to try to be covering the whole unit, just about 5mm each side to mask the indentations where the previous hinges have been. I think i'd like to stick with the 'lay on' type of hinge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back