Curious toilet issue/curiosity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Downstairs toilet, is only normally used for #1's. The curiosity is that what I am guessing is a slightly oily film, dark in appearance appears just on the water line around the bowl a few times. Rather than around the water line, this last time, the bottom of the bowl was covered in a dark film. Not a problem, it washes away with just a flick of the toilet brush, but where might it be coming from? Why only the downstairs toilet? Why now, it has never happened before, just this past year?

I'm CKD4, might that be something to do with it?

Both cistern entire mechanisms were replaced by me a few years ago and work fine, no problems, no leaks. Not in the plumbing section, because I'm not sure it is a plumbing issue.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear about that, I had to google it to know what you were talking about. My guess is its probably related to the kidney function.

Sponsored Links
Iron in the water?

Is your water soft?

Yes, I would call it soft, but the water authority call it medium. As said - I have only seen it form this past 12 months, only in the one toilet and floating, the last time - this morning, it was settled in the bottom of the bowl. It actually looked like a shadow, or a layer of dust. It washed away easily with a bit of help from the toilet brush.

How odd! Stating the bleedin obvious, check in the cisterns/ etc for anything rusting. And lay off the WD40.
Presumably to have regular check on your kidneys. I assume you have dippy stick things. Maybe pee into a white pot and see if anything precipitates! Can you email your GP? I learned a fair bit about kidneys once but have forgotten 95%. Wondrous things.

Harry I have to supply regular urine samples for my CKD, (every 2 weeks at the present). How often do you see your consultant/send in a urine sample/have blood tests?
Have you tried using the upstairs toilet to see if the same thing happens there?
Is it the same every time or does it seem less as the day goes on?

Harry I have to supply regular urine samples for my CKD, (every 2 weeks at the present). How often do you see your consultant/send in a urine sample/have blood tests?
Have you tried using the upstairs toilet to see if the same thing happens there?
Is it the same every time or does it seem less as the day goes on?

Urine samples are every 6 months, last one just recently, and blood every 3. I do use the upstairs toilet, when I'm up there, but never noticed any such issues. The black just gradually appears over several days, it accumulates it looks like a film of black, hardly anything, easily mistaken for a shadow.

Do you leave stuff in the bowl (yellow let it mellow) before flushing, or flush every time?

Sponsored Links
Back