Curry's disaster... washing machine inlet & waste hose sizes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just ordered a new washing machine from Curry’s, and pad for installation etc. When the guys got here to do it, they told me I had an extended inlet hose, a new one should be fitted, and they didn’t supply them. Needless to say, had they made me aware this was a possibility up front, I’d have been able to do something about it – he admitted that this happens frequently.

I asked why a new pipe was needed, and it seemed it was actually only the rubber washer in the end which joins the machine… he then went on to tell me that my (also extended) waste pipe had “the wrong size end”, and coolly asked me if I could supply him with a bit of copper plumbing pipe so that the could make it fit! Not being a plumber, I don’t keep such things – and if I was a plumber, I don’t suppose I’d be asking them to install the machine…

So now I’m left with a new machine sitting in the middle of the floor. I don’t want any further involvement from Curry’s, so I’d like to hook it up myself if possible. So two questions, if you wonderful guys could help me:

1. While it’s no problem for me buy a new extended inlet hose, it’s routed VERY awkwardly, and I’d much prefer to leave the existing one in place if I can – can I just buy a pack of rubber washers? What size would I need please?
2. Are there in fact two diameters of waste pipe, or was he talking out of his arse? The old one just looks stretched to me… its internal diameter seems to be about 28mm, with the external diameter of the waste pipe actually on the machine about 25mm. So is there some sort of adapter I can buy from Screwfix, or do I need a new extended waste pipe too? Again, not a massive problem having to buy one, but the routing is so awkward I’m not sure I can do it :(

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I suspect what you need for the waste is a connector to connect the existing waste flexible hose (going to the drain) to the new machines outlet. Its called a washing machine waste connector, for example https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/...gclid=CMWh1Z7J09MCFUI8GwodpTAKZA#.WQm4iIWcFmA. You'll need a jubilee clip each side of it to make sure the hoses are secure. The end of the hose from the new machine may have a tapered rubber end. You may have to cut this off, but make sure this doesn't invalidate the guarantee.

Are you talking about the actual ribbed waste pipe on the washing machine, i take it that is the one you have extended why can,t you just install the machine like for like.
Pictures would be good if you can.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
OK guys, first of all thanks for replying – I’d be stuck without you :)

Right, I’m going to attach some pictures. First thing though – the machine comes with a “standard” (I guess) inlet pipe… I’m no expert or I wouldn't be here, but the washer in it kind of looks like the one in my old pipe… why didn’t they just swap them over? Presumably I can do that?

You can see pictures of the machine end of both old and new waste pipes. They don’t seem to be 40mm or 32mm at the end, but maybe I’m measuring it wrong? But they’re definitely different!

Re the connector thingy (yes, I’m talking about the ribbed waste pipe), I didn’t extend the pipe – it either came with the house, or with the machine, as far as I can remember – it was 10 years ago L but as far as I know it’s a “standard” pipe – if such a thing exists – just connected easily at each end I think.

Sorry, the pics are (1) old and new waste pipes; (2) the old waste pipe - machine end (bigger diameter); (3) new waste pipe - machine end (smaller diameter); and the old and new inlet pipes.

old_and_new_waste_pipes.jpg old_waste_pipe.jpg new_waste_pipe.jpg old_and_new_inlet_pipes.jpg old_and_new_waste_pipes.jpg

I have heard of several cases where Currys delivery people have refused to fit machines for no good reason.

One customer was so aggressive he persuaded Currys to pay me to fit it for him on a Saturday afternoon.

Now listen to this reason they gave. The washing machine tap would not completely turn off!

Certainly a problem?

No, not at all, because just 50 mm below it was a nice new stopcock which would turn off the water fine!

Tony

They do look different sizes some of the old flexi pipes where slightly bigger especially on older machine,s i kow you said it was a tight fit but is there no way you can by a washing machine waste pipe extension kit which comes with a jointing piece, then its all new and same size.
The water feed is standard you can by a pack of 10 rubbers from screwfix for a quid.
You may struggle if you try to join those two together, you don,t want a leak especially with a pump in the mix.
Hope this helps.
Andy.

Right – here’s what I did in the end.

1. Took the washer out of the new (too short) inlet pipe, and fitted it to the old pipe. If you're reading, Curry’s, this is not rocket science.
2. I decided to save myself hassle by just buying a new 2.5M waste pipe for £6 from Screwfix.

And I nearly got away with it – but the machine end of the new waste pipe was also much too big. And there doesn't seem to be another size. I can only assume that Beko use a non-standard fitting on their machines.

So back to Screwfix and exchanged the waste pipe for one of those little adapters that was suggested earlier in the thread… uncharacteristically for me, I had a sudden flash of inspiration, and measured the end of the new pipe through the plastic bag, so didn’t even open it.

Came back; stuck the little adapter between the Beko waste pipe and the existing one in the kitchen; tightened the Jubilee Clips, and away we go… machine now doing a test run in the middle of the kitchen floor in case it leaks or anything.

Thanks a million, guys – it’s such a big help to me even just to help me think things through.

Won’t post any more unless I hear an explosion from the kitchen, or feel my feet getting wet (upstairs…) :D

currys do mention in their online T&Cs that they do not supply longer hoses. But they go onto say that if they use the existing one, they will not be responsible for leaks on the hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back