Custom light fittings - self built from components

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, secrion 14(2), says: "For the purposes of this regulation a supply shall include the provision of electrical equipment by a manufacturer for use in his own premises and where a supply consists solely of such provision paragraph (1) above shall apply to the supply as if the words “and 9(1)” were omitted."

Section 9(1) - which that paragraph says does not apply in the case of self-supply - is the one that requires CE marking. The only requirement left in 14(1) is then 5(1), which requires that it is safe.
Whoops, sorry - I was thinking of machinery.

Sponsored Links
Pedantic maybe, but you will be selling them if you leave them behind when selling the house.
If we're being pedantic, I imagine that it might well be possible for the sale Contract to specify that light fittings were not included in the sale price, but that those fittings were not being removed, so that the buyer would be free to make use of them (for no cost) if they so wished! You'd need a lawyer to tell you whether than would be possible, and whether it would get one off the hook that people are seemingly concerned about.

I have to say that some of the things (electrical, plumbing etc., even structural) that I 'bought' as 'part' of my present house were dodgy to the extent that they didn't/don't bear thinking about - but I fully accepted that, and certainly didn't make any issue of it!

Kind Regards, John

I imagine that it might well be possible for the sale Contract to specify that light fittings were not included in the sale price
I remember reading somewhere that such fittings were deemed to be an integral part of the property and must be included in the sale of said property. If the vendor of the property wanted to keep certain fittings they would have to make a separate contract to buy them from the new owner.
Might have been on another DIYnot forum.

What is or is not included with a house sale is easily resolved - you remove the light fittings and put up standard pendants before putting the house on the market.

Sponsored Links
yes you can.

The definition of what is included is the contract and associated schedules.

You have the opportunity to list F&F individually as Included, Excluded, or available at additional price of X.

If the photos and particulars show something that is excluded, it may cause irritation, but gives no legal rights to have it.

I remember reading somewhere that such fittings were deemed to be an integral part of the property and must be included in the sale of said property.
That is the default situation, but it is easily varied. This is a typical form used for instructing solicitors as to what to put in the contract:

upload_2016-10-28_21-59-25.png

Kind Regards, John

Afternoon,

Thinking of putting together my own light fittings, constructed from component parts, and was wondering if there are any particular regulations/legislation the finished article needs to comply with? I would not be looking to sell the fitting, however I wouldn't want to find myself up the proverbial creek with the home insurance company, and I wouldn't necessarily want to replace them if I come to sell the place.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Woody
Just have them PAT tested before you install them.
Life is quite short ……

DS

Is PAT testing enough? I thought I may have had to go down the CE marking route with all that entails...

I'd prefer to use BC lampholders (and probably will for the ceiling light) but most of the LED filament lamps I'm finding have ES connections. I may just not be looking hard enough though.

Is PAT testing enough? I thought I may have had to go down the CE marking route with all that entails...

See my previous posts. No, you do not need CE marking; it just needs to be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back