Cut-off equipment - recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cut-off equipment (I believe - I have not done much research) can either involve a saw or a grinding wheel as the cutting element.

If I was cutting steel and aluminum bars, what in general should I buy? A saw blade type or a grinding wheel type?

I'd be wanting to get a pretty smooth finish at the cut.

And incidentally, is their much noise difference between saw and grinder?

Are powered reciprocating saws still in fashion? Or are they old-hat now and probably quite expensive?

Do we call these cut-off machines mitres now?

Thanks. Rich

P.S. Oh, I think if you can achieve a slanting cut, the equipment might then be called a mitre.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would have thought the saw type would be most people's preference. For various reasons. True or false?

Saw blade for Aluminium being a soft metal and having seen cutting discs explode a blade is a lot safer!
Never use a grinding wheel as a cutting disc!!!

Consider Using a thin slitting disc (for metal) in an angle grinder...... You'll still need to finish with a file though, whether you use a blade or disc.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The cuts need to be precisely normal to the 2" diameter aluminum bar, so I cannot use a grinder.

2" solid bar - that's quite something! Ideally a mechanical hacksaw with a cutting fluid such as paraffin to cool things and wash the chips away. Then the bar would be faced of in a lathe.
So, it's a quality hacksaw blade for you, it seems.

In school, we had a large hacksaw, which was power operated. Not sure what it's called powered hacksaw I suppose. Do people still use them? Or, is there now a modern equivalent/substitute?

P.S. Aaah. Maybe: Clarke CBS45MD 370W Metal Cutting Bandsaw or equivalent.

Or the circular saw type: Evolution RAGE2 Pro 355mm Multi Purpose Cut Off Saw (230V)

Or: Axminster Engineer Series G1 Powered Hacksaw

All might do?

Last edited:
If they have to be precise and flat, then I'd have thought that you're looking at some sort of milling operation with a jig to hold the work exactly in place.
Or possibly a shaper machine with (again) a jig.

If they have to be precise and flat, then I'd have thought that you're looking at some sort of milling operation with a jig to hold the work exactly in place.

The word you seek is a "Vice".

If we're looking at solid round billets, then its cut oversize using a mechanical hacksaw, and then each end faced off using a lathe to the exact size......maybe the OP will enlighten us!
Hard work cutting these with a grinder due to the heat build up, causing melting of the aluminium and subsequent clogging of the wheel.

The word you seek is a "Vice".

I was thinking of something a bit more complicated that would give some sort of register for a pre sawn 45' end to make it easier to repeat.

but:
If we're looking at solid round billets, then its cut oversize using a mechanical hacksaw, and then each end faced off using a lathe to the exact size......maybe the OP will enlighten us!
Hard work cutting these with a grinder due to the heat build up, causing melting of the aluminium and subsequent clogging of the wheel.

I'd seen "mitre" and assumed the cuts were at 45'. If they are square, then as you say John.
To be honest, if it was a regular job for more than a few I'd be looking at the price to get the parts made up on a CNC machine.

Melting point of Aluminium is around 660 degrees C but agree the cutting disc will clogg. Any cut made is a rough cut and will need machining no matter what you chose to make the cut.

Are we saying that both a circular saw and a grinding disk, as cutting elements, would NOT be suitable to cut my 2" diameter aluminium round bar? That would mean I either use a hand hacksaw, or a powered hacksaw. Is that right?

I do have a disk sander, and if i make a jig, I could true up the faces of my cut bars. Sadly, I don't have a lathe.

Last edited:
A mechanical powered hacksaw is what you need for the initial cuts of your bar.
It would be possible to get a polished face with a disc sander or linisher but the heat build up would be high.
The edges wouldn't be true either, if that is an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back