Cut-off equipment - recommendation

I'm not looking for absolute precision as such. Polishing, not really necessary. Should be square though according to a regular set square.

Sponsored Links
I'd have thought even "square to a set square" would be tricky without a lathe.
Depends somewhat on what you want the for, what the finish has to be, and how many you have to make.

It seems to me than that on the very specific issue of cutting this aluminium bar I have, both a circular saw as well as a grinding disk are non starters, because the bar needs a slow-moving blade action. Looks like I'll be hand cutting this bar. Unless I am willing to buy some powered hacksaw I can afford. Which seems a bit over the top if I'm not cutting aluminium bar of this size regularly.

I'm not looking for absolute precision as such. Polishing, not really necessary. Should be square though according to a regular set square.

Not gonna happen with any of the tools mentioned so far.

Sponsored Links
If the table in front of my rotating sand disc is square with the disc, and if the bar is at right angles horizontally to the disc, I'll have a square faced edge on my bar. Won't I? Certainly in theory.

Last edited:
How you planning to wind on the feed from the disc to the bar?

To clarify, how are you gonna keep the constant pressure then add movement until such time that the edge is square?

If you rotate the aluminium bar as you are facing it on the disc sander, you'll get a reasonably accurate 90 deg finish - with the emphasis being on 'reasonably'.
Is that good enough for your project?
John :)

Think about the amount of vibration with both the tool and the object rotating, really need to work out the feed side of things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back