Cut through 2 security cables - help pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to cut through a 6” skirting, no cables visible, however mid way down some bright spark has laid 2 x cables, 1x 4 core and 1 x 8 core look like cat5 type of cables. One went to a sensor and the other went directly into the control panel zone box thingy which is on the wall in the next room, not the key panel.

The alarm went off on the outside bell only and the keypad went blank, so could not type in code.
The alarm stopped after around 10 minutes and did not go since then.
I was able to strip the cable and twist the like for like cables together and wrapped each one individually with insulation tape. The 3amp fuse along side the control zone box is good, could not see where the system enters the consumer unit?

Name on outside box is ITAL, name on keypad is Gardtec, the alarm is zoned in a 4 bed town house.

Would appreciate any advise as to how to re-instate system, Thank you , Tonyobm

Sponsored Links
undo the joints you have made and solder them, if you dont it will cause you nothing but grief later.

you have also blown a fuse inside the panel, all you need do is change it.
it will be glass , 20mm long and rated about 1A

you can get new one from the likes of maplin

Try and re-run the cables if you can. A poor joint of any kind will lead to problems eventually, usually at 2am in the morning.

Thanks for the advice guys , I bought some fuses from Maplin today.
I would re-wire, but they go into the wall at the corner and I cannot see where they come out? don't forget these were installed by someone who ran them parallel about 3" up behing a 6" skirting..... I may be able to re-run the pir wire. the cables are 4 core and 8 core but I am not sure what type of cable, the look like cat 5 type to me ?
Thak again for all your input, it is very useful.
Tony

Sponsored Links
cable is alarm cable" also sold in maplin, but so long as you solder it, it will be fine

other suppliers of alarm cable are available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back