Cutting 15mm Moulded door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to trim 15mm off the top/bottom of a white moulded door, Is it possible to do it with an electric planer?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It is, but you must plane in from both ends to avoid splitting the end grain.
Personally I'd be using a fine toothed hand saw for this after scoring along the marked line but if you want to bash on, take equal amounts off both ends, don't overdo the cutting depth, and hold the plane at a slight angle along the edge to avoid breakout of the mdf panel.
Finish with glasspaper.
John :)

Don't trim top, not usually any allowance made for the top, 6mm is often maximum off bottom but you can take the 30mm of the bottom [cut off with saw]which will completely remove base timber baton, this need to be replaced, plane of this offcut so it fits back in the base, glue and clamp in place over night then you can hang.

before cutting anything off make sure the frame is square

offer the door up to the opening making sure it lines up on the hinge side
note how much it deviates along the arcas on top say its 9mm from end to end
trim this first before cutting to length a couple off light pencil marks will help you be accurate

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

If I used a fine toothed handsaw surley you don't stand a chance of getting a stright cut do you?

Top of door should have lock side indicated as molded doors only have a small piece of timber at lock location on one side.

on the top it says "hc top" so is that the side the lock goes on?

is there wood in the side where the lock goes where the other side is hollow?

That's correct, usually an arrow indicating lock side or sometimes just a symbol.

Trying to fit a new door but any idea what is the cause of the door springing back? Like when you go to shut it it spings back open?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back