cutting a worktop with a router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to cut a worktop using a jig and a router. i've never done this before but am going to practise and some old pieces first. i have bought a jig and the instructions are pretty straight forward.

is it best to cut one piece of worktop first to size and scribe it to fit the back wall first - then mitre the joint and join it - and then scribe the second piece to fit the back wall.

any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
From a DIY perspective I would say no. If you have done loads of these, go for it!

Before going down that route, I would asses how out of true the walls are, if you are lucky, then a simple 90 degree mitre will be ok, small variances can be hidden either by the tiling, or by knocking out some of the plaster to make the worktop fit. If that won't be possible, then there is no other choice.

Remember that your practice cuts will be causing wear to the router bit, make sure you have a nice sharp bit for the face cut!

Merv

Unless the wall is very bad, there is no need to scribe the back as tiles or trim will hide any gap.

If the length is not too long, you could run a plane along the back edge.

I find it a lot easier to take any large high spots off the wall.

Whatever you decide to do, remember to keep an eye on the front overhang, it's very easy to loose too much.

Best of luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back